free website stats program Stage 1? | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 1?

futurerider

I am close to purchasing my first H D. I have decided on the Road King FLHR.
I have been reading all I can here on HDT and have learned alot so far, and I still have not found a complete answer to "What exactly is stage 1? and what does it do for me?"
It seems that it consist of a new breather for more air intake, a set of new pipes for less restriction (and better sound :)) and a tunning of the computer and or fuel management.
It sounds as though it improves the engines ability to disperse heat by moving more air, better performance, more power (torque), and of course the great Harley sound (there is no better reason to have one).
Am I missing anything?

One more question on the same subject I think. I also read alot about, if the motor seems to run hot, the fuel mixture may be too lean? Not being a motor head it would seem to me that a richer mixture would run hotter.

Thanks again for all of your input.

If a motor is breathing proper (intake of air and fuel and the ability to exhaust it properly) Then it will run cooler because it is not starving in any way,which means it is not working as hard. These bikes are set so lean that they are always working and one small variable like poor fuel or a full load especially on a warm day can cause pre-detonation which can seriously harm the engine

Had you looked in the self help area, you would have found this...:D

Stage 1-2-3-4 Explained - Harley Davidson Community

OOPs, I thought I did, but I must have seen something else that interested me, thanks, I will look better this time :small3d031:

If a motor is breathing proper (intake of air and fuel and the ability to exhaust it properly) Then it will run cooler because it is not starving in any way,which means it is not working as hard. These bikes are set so lean that they are always working and one small variable like poor fuel or a full load especially on a warm day can cause pre-detonation which can seriously harm the engine

AHHH, so the heat is caused more by friction than by combustion of the fuel?

Glider,
Thanks, that explained it REAL GOOD.
I will however print it and read it again and again until it really sinks in - Thanks!
Don't know how I missed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a suggestion...

Take a bit of time and scan through the different forums in the self help area to familiarize yourself with the topics. You may pick up some info that you really weren't looking for that would be useful.:s

Just a suggestion...

Take a bit of time and scan through the different forums in the self help area to familiarize yourself with the topics. You may pick up some info that you really weren't looking for that would be useful.:s

Thanks, thats how I missed the Stage 1 info - still learning my way around this site - it is huge

One more question on the same subject I think. I also read alot about, if the motor seems to run hot, the fuel mixture may be too lean? Not being a motor head it would seem to me that a richer mixture would run hotter.

Thanks again for all of your input.
Think about a camp fire or a fire in a wood stove. on a camp fire if you fan the fire and give it more air the coals get hot and burn hotter. In a wood stove if you want to get your fire hot you let the air run through, on some of the older ones you would crack the door to get the fire nice and hot, but if you want the fire to burn just right through the night you would close the door and the damper and let smolder through the night.

more air or "leaner" = hotter fire.

Think about a camp fire or a fire in a wood stove. on a camp fire if you fan the fire and give it more air the coals get hot and burn hotter. In a wood stove if you want to get your fire hot you let the air run through, on some of the older ones you would crack the door to get the fire nice and hot, but if you want the fire to burn just right through the night you would close the door and the damper and let smolder through the night.

more air or "leaner" = hotter fire.

Ok...I think I got it. So I got one of these to install on my scooter. Hopefully I'll be able to get it adjusted "just right" and maybe my thighs won't get as toasted at stoplights. :D Just gotta figure out where I would put it now??? Any suggestions? (Better be gentle...Glider is watching.):bigsmiley31:)

5CO-31320-LG.jpg

Back