free website stats program Stage 1 went great - thanks Glider et al. | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 1 went great - thanks Glider et al.

RC Taylor

Finished my stage 1 this afternoon after much reading on HD Talking. This is my 10th bike over the years but first Harley bought used this spring. Thanks to some great info from guys on HD Talking like Glider and others it went very smoothly and with great results.

Chose some Cycle Shack slip ons, EJK Gen 3.5 (Techlusion/Dobeck) fuel manager and a AN Big Sucker S1 (hoping backplate doesn't crack....) for my 04 FDXLI. Runs fantastic! Very smooth, noticeable increase in power and a big smile from the rider. Spent just over $400.00 in parts and a an afternoon of time (I work slow).

BTW Dobeck sold me the EJK Gen 3.5 for $175.00 shipped because of the
military discount. Gave them a copy of my DD214, they are great folks to work with!!! Got it in 3 days!

A few weeks ago I did a 5K maintenance using Glider's recommendations for fluids and that went very well also. Spectro 6 speed tranny oil was expensive but worth it, very smooth.

Thanks guys I couldn't have done it without you!

RC

Finished my stage 1 this afternoon after much reading on HD Talking. This is my 10th bike over the years but first Harley bought used this spring. Thanks to some great info from guys on HD Talking like Glider and others it went very smoothly and with great results.

Chose some Cycle Shack slip ons, EJK Gen 3.5 (Techlusion/Dobeck) fuel manager and a AN Big Sucker S1 (hoping backplate doesn't crack....) for my 04 FDXLI. Runs fantastic! Very smooth, noticeable increase in power and a big smile from the rider. Spent just over $400.00 in parts and a an afternoon of time (I work slow).

BTW Dobeck sold me the EJK Gen 3.5 for $175.00 shipped because of the
military discount. Gave them a copy of my DD214, they are great folks to work with!!! Got it in 3 days!

A few weeks ago I did a 5K maintenance using Glider's recommendations for fluids and that went very well also. Spectro 6 speed tranny oil was expensive but worth it, very smooth.

Thanks guys I couldn't have done it without you!

RC

What a great post!!! Sounds like you should be very proud of yourself. Nice job. And we never can say enough about Glider and all the members who help others.

Did you use the TFI recommended settings? I'm seriously considering a Dobeck unit for my 2010 FXDC. Nice to know about the military discount.

11bdad
Re: Stage 1 went great - thanks Glider et al.
Did you use the TFI recommended settings? I'm seriously considering a Dobeck unit for my 2010 FXDC. Nice to know about the military discount.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

11bdad, yes running recommended settings, I have not changed the Dobeck settings it came with. So far no decel popping, bogging or perceived loss of power, in fact just the opposite. I'm going to go slow making any changes and get some seat time with the Dobeck settings.

The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is gas mileage. I was over 46mpg with drilled out stock pipes and stock air cleaner but I am pretty sure I was lean. I expect to drop mileage and understand that the richer settings also make for cooler running. I'm hoping not to drop below 40mpg if possible.

I went with TFI because I'm not knowledgeable enough on EFI to be comfortable with a PC and in some cases I've read about, the PC was burning the ECM out. I knew I would be too worried about damaging the engine instead of enjoying the ride. On the other hand I know there are a lot of very satisfied PC owners out there.

The only thing that makes me slightly nervous is that with the TFI ver 2 (screw driver pot settings) and ver 3 they can't take fuel away from the stock curve. Dobeck gave me a choice of ver 2 or 3 and I chose ver 3. They actually sent me a ver 3.5 which has the ability to subtract fuel from the stock curve. But as I said, I going to go very slow changing any settings if at all.

Good luck with your mods to your Custom.

Back