free website stats program Stage 1 Performance? | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 1 Performance?

edar

Can you tell a signifacant increase in performance.

Moderator's Note - I moved this post out of the Self Help Tips and into its own thread to get more responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings Edar. What stage 1 mod are we thinking about? From what I know, which is very little, the "stages" are just ways of describing what degree of modification we're talking about. Stage one could be intake, or exhaust, or a few other things. Stage 2 might be something like cams.. and up it goes. Not sure what Stage 4 would be. Maybe a turbo and nitrous?

I'll assume for a minute you are talking about a Stage 1 intake, which is what most people use the term for. I changed from stock to Arlen Ness Billet Big Sucker and love it. The bike seems to breath better and be a little snappier on the throttle. Looks better too. I think it was well worth the $200 and an hour to install it.

edar. Welcome on your First post here on HDT.com

A full Stage ONE... for me on my Many I have owned HD bikes, Involves:

a good set of Exhaust
an OPENed Up air flow

and Adjustment of the carb jet Sizes to Go in hand with the New Flowing improvements......OR a TFI installed on Fuel Injection models to correct the TOO LEAN condition of a harley,, even Too Lean Before I modified to Stage One.

YES, Mine is done this way, I FEEL a LOT of power and plain Just better/cooler RUNABILITY of my HOG.

I presently have V&H exhaust slip-ons on My 09 FLHR and along with SE air and A TFI from Dobecks Performance (TFI is discounted for Members of HDT).. Now I have added SE255 cams... Runs Really Good, Noted from the "Seat of the Pants feeling"..

The type of Fuel management can be Chosen from Many others, BUT I, along with MANY here on HDT.com, use the TFI and easy to install, good results.. Priced right also( 250$ area) + a little Less with Member discount.

The bike will run COOLER, Stronger with the TFI and Just Putting the TFI on a stock bike OFF the Show Room Floor is a MUST in my book. A MAJOR IMPROVEMENT...

Hope you get used to this site and LOTS to read and Valuable Information in abundance.

signed....BUBBIE

I have a 2006 Heritage. It has a stage one which includes SE II exhaust, air filter and a Power Commander III, all installed last year. I had it dyno tuned at that time. HP went from 68 to 77 and torque went from 72 to 79.

When riding, the increase in power for me was remarkable. Very noticeable especially at the lower end.

What was really amazing was that the tuner removed ALL of the backfiring on decel and the stuttering at low rpms, usually when in the neighborhood streets etc. It runs smoothly at all speeds now.

Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic, I can barely recognize a crescent wrench on my best days so take these comments as you wish. All I can say is that the stage one really changed the way my bike runs. I am very happy.

Question, I have a 2011 Ultra Limited 103. I changed the Exhaust and put V&H Dresser Duals with V&H Ovals on and I also put a SE Stage 1 Air Cleaner on also. I had a Exid Fuel enrichment on. Which I took off because it was Back fireing Through the Exhaust because I thought it would be Running Lean. I do not have any Turner on It. When I took the Xied off and went back to Stock ECM Setting the Bike started to run Perfect. I thought with all that Extra Equipment everybody told me that I would need a turner or some Kind of a Fuel enrichment. But everything seems to be Running Perfect. am I missing Something here. Welcome all Answers.

Jim's New Add On's 005.jpg

Jim's New Add On's 006.jpg

Jim's New Add On's 003.jpg

Just to be on the safe side I think I'm going to add a V&H fuel Pack or a Power Commander Because I can't really tell if is going to be Running to Lean and I don't want to Blow it up. Some say that the stock Ecm on the 2011 will accept the Change's I made, But I don't want to take a chance.

Just to be on the safe side I think I'm going to add a V&H fuel Pack or a Power Commander Because I can't really tell if is going to be Running to Lean and I don't want to Blow it up. Some say that the stock Ecm on the 2011 will accept the Change's I made, But I don't want to take a chance.
I for one believe that ALL hd's are Too Lean , That said , the HD have their bikes set at Above the 14 AFR level which makes the Hd exhaust okayed by the EPA but CLOSE to running Lean Enough to do damage to the engine.. HEAT and LEAN go hand and hand... TBones has a good post on this and is well said and easy to understand. I'll try to get it here.. GOT IT****************

Today, 10:26 AM #37
Tbones
Contributor$
Ride: 07 FLHTCI

My Mood:

Re: oil cooler fan or engine fan?
Stock Delphi Ignition systems are setup to run the AFR at 14.7... They have what's called parade mode, when the motor gets too hot, it will reduce the AFR to 12.5 at idle, anything over idle and it reverts back to 14.7 AFR... One of the best things you can do to lower your engine temps is to get a good tuner that gets your AFR back to where it's suppose to be for internal combusion engines... The company had to run the motors at 14.7 to meet the EPA exhaust emission standard... 14.7 is right at the limit (lean) before engine damage will occur... Internal combusion engines run their best with the AFR running between 12.5 and 13, you get the most power and your motor will run cooler, you'll take a hit on the gas mileage but with the aftermarket tuners you can adjust your AFR to run in the 14.0 range in the cruise rpm range that will get you the best mpg... Fans are certainly good and will help but if you get the AFR's correct, you won't necessarily need a fan to help cool your motor unless your riding in outside temperatures over 105 degrees, then even with a fan the motor can get pretty hot especially at idle with no wind going over the fins...
I thought this Post was Very GOOD information, easy to understand, and does answer Questions here ALSO.. Thanks T..

signed....BUBBIE

This is WHY I always suggest the TFI or Gen3 from Dobecks..
WHY pay for the down-load when FOR about 250$ range and Less with the HDT discount.. along with Other discounts are available IF you qualify..
(military/police/first responders),,,, You can install the corrective device NEEDED...

TFI or Gen3 are good units and either model will solve the TOO LEAN condition.. AND so easy YOU can Install and Tune it Your Self.

signed....BUBBIE

Back