free website stats program Stage 1 (part recommendations) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 1 (part recommendations)

Ok so I've already been sold the SERT with my stage 1.Can I do the same with this tuner as the TFI,or does it have to be done by Harley?

It depends on your qualifications in changing the maps. It does more than the TFI but you have to be careful not to alter the maps too much or you can do damage.

Thanks Glider,I dont have any experience in doing this,is it easier with the TFI and if not will an independant mech reset the AFR since Harley wont?

Also do you know if I was supposed to get the mapping cd and operators manual when I bought the tuner?

Thanks Glider,I dont have any experience in doing this,is it easier with the TFI and if not will an independant mech reset the AFR since Harley wont?

Also do you know if I was supposed to get the mapping cd and operators manual when I bought the tuner?

The TFI is a very easy unit to set up and adjusts just fuel which is really all that is needed on the late model bikes without going for an arm and a leg. You can no doubt do that one yourself.

As far as what you should get with the tuner, most come with a CD and other parts that you should get when you pick up the bike so if you wanted to you can alter the map.

I'll be the "Devil's Advocate" about the benefits of the TFI. I have stage 1 on my '05 Electra Glide with SE pipes, SE full flow AC, and the Harley download for stage one. I've very pleased with this set-up and can't see where the TFI could improve performance over what I already have. Gas mileage is important to me because I get paid by the mile for using my bike as a service vehicle (tough job, but somebody's gotta do it :) I'm averaging 45 mpg with my stage 1 set-up and thinking that if I did have a TFI I'd just end up burning more gas with no improvement to present performance.

The Harley download is on the lean side and the TFI will richen it up . The result will be a better running engine with more power than with just the download. Cooler temps are another advantage.

RocketJ did you buy the screamin eaglerace tuner? If so did the cd and the interface cables come with it.
I bought the SERT and didnt get any of that just wondering if the shop is trying to rip me off.

RocketJ did you buy the screamin eaglerace tuner? If so did the cd and the interface cables come with it.
I bought the SERT and didnt get any of that just wondering if the shop is trying to rip me off.

Your model year bike is not listed. Did you buy a SERT or a SEST. Knowing what you paid for it will tell you if you got "hit & run"

gww303,
No tuner. My stage one consists of the SE pipes, the SE free flow Air Cleaner and the Harley download (Harley Shop did it. No CD). You've got a different set-up and I don't know what you should have received with your SERT.

A agree, Glider, that the TFI would give me more gas and I understand that you don't think the download gives enough gas. All I'm saying is that I'm happy with my bike without the TFI. I seems like I get the right amount of gas with just the download.

The SEST costs $459.95 MSRP. You get the VCI and software that works up to 2009 year bikes for that price. Smartune 2010 software is $29.95 extra. The cable kit is $39.95 extra.

The software (non-autotune) that comes with the kit costs $24.95 by itself. So if all you received was a VCI, then $459.95 - $24.95 = $435.00 which would have been MSRP for the VCI by itself.

Back