free website stats program Stage 1 or peacemakers? | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 1 or peacemakers?

Dublin Dave

I need some view's on this before commiting myself! Road King 2007:

Peacemaker Exhausts: Are they a good buy, do they give the V twin an extra 7 HP without all the trimmings, i.e. air intake revamp and commander , is the sound as good as im reading on their website. I like the idea of closing the system to quite mode for early depature in built up areas. And these can be bought for a fraction of the price as a stage 1 upgrade at the local dealer's.This option is very DIY:)

Stage 1: Is this the more sensible option, although beit a more expensive option. But as they say you get what you pay for, and what slip ons give the low rumble and not to loud in your face type?
Can a stage 1 be preformed at home by the average engine boffin?:D

I have read the post on Exhaust systems on this forum, but need a true awswer on this one.
Cheers
Dave

Peacemakers are a different approach but just remember that an engine needs backpressure to run properly and although the system gives you your choice of noise or quiet, It's a tuners nightmare. You cannot tune to run properly while switching from open to closed mode. It will run properly in the mode that it is tuned in and poorly in the other one, either rich or lean depending on which mode it was tuned in and which you are running in. To tune to run in both would be a compromise at best.

Stage 1: Is this the more sensible option, although beit a more expensive option. But as they say you get what you pay for, and what slip ons give the low rumble and not to loud in your face type?
Can a stage 1 be preformed at home by the average engine boffin?:D

I have read the post on Exhaust systems on this forum, but need a true awswer on this one.
Cheers
Dave

Performing a stage 1 yourself is really quite easy. Installing the breather and slip-ons is really just an unbolt and bolt on affair. (Get the manual for your bike so that you have the right torque values, etc.

Installing the tuner is just unplugging and plugging cables. Depending on the tuner you choose, the adjustments can be as simple as loading a map (e.g., the PC III) or following directions to put in the proper settings. I like the Power Commander because it gives you the ultimate in control. Glider likes the TFI for the simplicity.

In terms of which slip-ons, I am leaning toward the V&H Monster Ovals for my '09 RK which is on the truck from MoCo this morning. Not as loud as others, low mellow sounds, less "barking." There are sound tracks on the V&H site, on this site, and on u-tube.

Hope this helps.

OH BOY! Looks like you're having a blast with this one.:s

Before you do the 103, ride it and break it in, the 09 has a different pulley size on the rear and you may decide you don't need it. They are better on the bottom end than the 07 & 08 were.

As always Thanks guys,
I think i will opt. for a diy stage1 if i can get my head around the power commander side of things:
As down loading a map, this is obviously done by a dealer, would that be correct?
And as mentioned a TFI that Glider prefers, sounds like plug in and play.

Or if i order a commander, it can be preset for the Road King? or the instructions are with it?

Im sweating now!!:(

As always Thanks guys,
I think i will opt. for a diy stage1 if i can get my head around the power commander side of things:
As down loading a map, this is obviously done by a dealer, would that be correct?
And as mentioned a TFI that Glider prefers, sounds like plug in and play.

Or if i order a commander, it can be preset for the Road King? or the instructions are with it?

Im sweating now!!:(

The TFI is a do it yourself operation (plug and play) and requires no dyno time or maps, comes with simple to understand directions and are also posted in the self help forum under fuel injection.

The PCIII can be setup by fuel moto to get you close with their choice of maps and has more adjustments than the TFI but can be a bit of work if you are not computer oriented and understand the workings of the bike.

The dealer can also do a download but they are still on the lean side for EPA regs.

Cheers Glider,

I think the TFI is the way to go, just have to wait untill the Euro gains some ground and the Banks stop messing us about before i go shopping.

So this is my shopping list for the stage 1:

Slip ons.

Air intake.

TFI.

and a lot of sweat, any corrections needed here?

Cheers Glider,

I think the TFI is the way to go, just have to wait untill the Euro gains some ground and the Banks stop messing us about before i go shopping.

So this is my shopping list for the stage 1:

Slip ons.

Air intake.

TFI.

and a lot of sweat, any corrections needed here?

Sounds good Dave. I'm going to contact George at Techlusion to see if we can get a better forum price on the TFI today.

Back