free website stats program Stage 1...or not | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 1...or not

SE6A

....I have been the proud owner of a 1999 Softail standard for the past few months, it has 40,000 miles on the clock, looks and sounds great!
It is fitted with Samson shortie pipes, and apart from those I dont know of any other modifications it may have had.
I am presuming it would have had stage 1....any way I can tell, I guess that is a change of jet in the carb....and a different air filter, but is there anything I can look for to check..?

You pretty much have all the bases covered. You could remove the air filter and if you find a high flow filter then you have a complete stage 1.

1 other thing you might want to consider with the exhaust and stage 1 is a fueler. Harleys run lean out of the box and any upgrades like exhaust and more air will lean it out even more. Take a look in the self help section, that should send you in the right direction.:s

In your case you have a carb so making sure it has been rejetted is important to get more fuel in her. When I was typing I was thinking injectors not carb.

In your case you have a carb so making sure it has been rejetted is important to get more fuel in her. When I was typing I was thinking injectors not carb.

Cheers, I believe the pipes were fitted some years back, it runs great, from what I can tell.....and obviously no problems, it was just my curiosity after a friend had asked me!
I will take a look at the air filter too.....

Cheers, I believe the pipes were fitted some years back, it runs great, from what I can tell.....and obviously no problems, it was just my curiosity after a friend had asked me!

If it ain't broke don't fix it......:s

It may have already been rejetted so if it runs good and your happy with it's performance then your good to go.

SE6A; The idle air mix is set very lean and sealed from the factory. Part of most carb. stage 1 mods is to drill out the plug so the idle mix can be adjusted (richened). You can take a small mirror and hold it under the carb. float bowl. in the center/rear just behind the float bowl, is a round boss cast into the carb. with a small alum. plug in the hole. That plug gets removed to allow access to the idle air mix. If your plug is not there, it's very likely a proper stage 1 was done.
If you don't have a lot of deceleration popping/snapping out of the pipes you are good.

The center two pictures in the attached, show the boss where the idle air jet is.
Harley Davidson 40mm CV Carburetor Sportster Dyna Softail Touring Keihn | eBay

If the air filter has been upgraded the when you remove the cover the filter will be mounted to a flat plate usually with three bolts rather than sitting in a plastic enclosure with the filter cover screw holding it all in place

Brian

Back