free website stats program Stage 1 mpg losses? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 1 mpg losses?

It's the bike, I promise! I am really a pokey rider/driver, (I don't like speeding tickets), but really, when the bike gets out, it sometimes likes to 'blow the dust off' so to speak. :s :dknow

I tend to ride slower on my FB...
Two different riding styles on the same bike can make a big diference in fuel milage.

I'm sorry officer...I could not hear your bullhorn...how fast was my bike going?
Hope I didn't interrupt your donut & coffee break! What style? :D

I purchased my new to me 95' Sporty with the Stage One already done. Since I had not ridden in well close to 40 years after taking a safety class I rode VERY sedately and got a whopping 57mpg. After I got more confident and comfortable with the bike my mpg progressively went down. I now get about normally 50mpg with a drop to 47mpg when riding the mountains. Soooo IMO mpg it is more about the rider in most cases. I too had a 64 Malibu SS 283. It had a 2bb which was replaced with a Carter AFB. My mileage actually remained about the same. I won't talk about my 69' Malibu SS 307 it was a mileage/performance dog no matter what I did to it. Finally a 350 installed......sweeet.

It's a common misconception when buying something with a small 4 cylinder engine that it will get better MPG than something with a 6 cylinder engine instead.
While the smaller engine is usually advertised at a higher MPG figure than the 4 cylinder, that same vehicle with a 6 cylinder engine in it may get equal or even better MPG than the 4 cylinder.
Reason being the 4 cylinder has to work harder to move the vehicle where the 6 cylinder works easier.
All bets are off if you are lead footing it.

I have an Acura MDX 7 passenger SUV with a 6 cylinder that is 270 HP and I have gotten 33 MPG on the road with the norm about 25MPG but around town with stop and go, it is about 14-16 MPG depending on the season (A/C) . There's a lot of smaller cars that can't get that kind of MPG even with a small engine but there are a few that will, problem is with them that you can't fit in them :D

I agree there, If it was MPG that people were after, they should have gotten a Vespa :newsmile042:.

fatguysonvespas.jpg

:) I put Screamin Eagle mufflers. Stage 1 Intake, and had race tuner done, did not really notice too much MPG loss. But sure does perform freer.

:newsmile042:that will really depend on your selections, if your only putting slip-ons , a stage 1 a/c , and jet kit, it wont be as much as if you did velocity stacks and drag pipes, how much you lose is really up to you . you might want to run a bit on the lean side or vice -versa, if you really only ride in warm weather as opposed to cold you can set the carb up for that, or both and change the idle mixture screw .... really the results of sound, power, and or efficency are up to you .

Back