free website stats program Stage 1 info | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 1 info

Not to pick a bone with HDDon but an HD dealership is the last place I would go for tuning or for tuning advice. Most dealers will push the SEPST, which is not a bad system but dealerships don't have a very good history when it comes to tuning. Most dealership tuners will download a map, tweak it a bit and call it good. Not saying all dealer tuners are incompetent; there are some good ones but they are not the norm.

Here are five questions you can ask your tuner to see what his skill level is without being conspicuous. These are 5 simple questions that a good experienced tuner can and will be able to spit out the answers correctly and without a great deal of thought and the whole time your asking them the questions it will seem like a general conversation of you getting a little knowledge of the tuning procedures from him. If your tuner can't answer all, or any, of these questions it's time for you to search out another shop.

1) How long will my bike be on the Dyno to tune?
(answer) 4 to 5 hours

2) How many Dyno runs will you have to make to finish a tune?
(answer) 50 to 70 on a average

3) What are people talking about when they say you have to SYNCHRONIZE the VE tables?
(answer) By Synchronizing the VE Table to the Fuel Table your telling the ECM the new air flow through the motor from the mods you made.

4) I heard something about a Step Test, can you tell me what that is?
(answer) The Step Test is a program in the winPEP 7 software (Dyno Software) that allows us to sample the AFR longer for a better reading at 2%, 5%, 7%, 10%, and 15% Throttle Position. This is where the bike lives so we want a good AFR sample to make our edits.

5) Do you change the AFR Table to one value as you tune?
(answer) Yes, 13.2. This makes it easier to synchronize the VE Table.

If your tuner can answer these simple questions chances are (99%) you will get a good tune. I hope this will give you all a better idea who your trusting your $20,000.00 investment with.

Dolt I will agree that not all people that tune your bike are created equal. Harley dealer or Indi. shop can have someone that will take a stab and call it good. Your question and answer post would be a great place to start no matter where you take your bike for motor upgrades. Thanks for the list, I'm sure it will help many members.

Kbscooter,
After giving your post some thought when you asked about the Dyno tune did you mean Dynojet? If that's the case we're talking about 2 different things. The info I gave you referred to having your scoot Dyno tuned.

If you meant a Dynojet tuner you're still talking in the 4 hundred + dollar range.
Yes it was a DynoJet tuning at our Action Powersport dealer. They sell everything but HD.

Lots of good info from everyone and my main plan is to just add a high flow screaming eagle filter to my monster rounds to finish the Stage 1. Just reading up on which download is best. I don't ride really hard as my back dictates that for me. My Heritage Classic I had just had the HD download and I was just wondering if I would be able to tell a big difference with one of the other downloads out there like the FP3.

Thanks for all the helpful inputs!

Yes it was a DynoJet tuning at our Action Powersport dealer. They sell everything but HD.

Lots of good info from everyone and my main plan is to just add a high flow screaming eagle filter to my monster rounds to finish the Stage 1. Just reading up on which download is best. I don't ride really hard as my back dictates that for me. My Heritage Classic I had just had the HD download and I was just wondering if I would be able to tell a big difference with one of the other downloads out there like the FP3.

In my opinion an HD download is a waste of time and money. With the mods you're going to do a good fueler is all you need. Opening it up so it breathes with the stage 1 and exhaust will lean it out to much so you'll want to fatten it up a bit with more fuel. This can be accomplished with a fuel management system of your choice. JMHO.

JMHO but you should replace the head pipe with the V&H Power Dual pipe and get rid of the catalytic converter. The HO103 "Rushmore" motor runs a decent cam, very similar to the SE255 but with a bit more overlap and the HO103 air filter is a hi-flow unit, at least by MoCo standards so I don't think you gain much by replacing it with the SE filter; the OEM unit is probably good to 100HP, or very close. Perhaps the aftermarket would be the place to look for a better filter like K&N or Zippers.

If you use the FP3 auto tune feature, the end result will be much better than any HD download. As Jeff says, the HD download is a waste of money; adds a bit of fuel and it used to raise the rev limiter but I don't think the current HD Stage I download does that.

Good point Don, I just assume when someone changes exhaust they get ride of the nasty catalytic converter.
My bad to assume.:(

Good point Don, I just assume when someone changes exhaust they get ride of the nasty catalytic converter.
My bad to assume.:(
I'm sure when they threw on my slip ons that's all they did. So I should replace header section above slip ons and I guess the catalytic converter is located there?

Yes, located in the header. A good welder can cut it out and reweld if you don't want to buy a new or used one.

Yep the stock header needs to go or at least the cat. There is at least one dealer in my area that will sell de-catted OEM headers. Get de-catted OEM headers on e-bay. There are many other options out there (V*& H power duals, dresser duals , (*lose a little torque*) works for me , Fuel-moto-jackpot head pipes, bassani true duals... you get the idea, just depends on what you are after. As I planned on going no further on engine mods the FP3 has been great. Free flowing a/c, new headers, new slip-ons and a FP3 or other tuner if preferred equals a nice stage 1 setup.... no need for dealer download or dyno. Anything beyond that cams etc then I start thinking about different tuner and a dyno.

What is the difference in Power or Dresser duals? How does removing catalytic converter affect inspection where emissions are tested?

Back