free website stats program Stage 1 info | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 1 info

The FP3 is a good option for a Stage I configuration and will also work with a mild "mouse" cam and, IMHO, a better option that the original Fuelpack or the Dobeck units. However, once one gets past that with head work, higher compression, long cams, larger throttle body, etc. the FP3 will not to the job of a fuel management system like the TTS Mastertune or the DJ Powervision and a dyno tune.

I had an FP3 on my '11 FLSTC (Heritage Softail Classic). I loved it! Download the app to your phone, blue tooth the FP3 and marry it to the bike, input the bike configuration, download the map and then flash the ECU. That's it! Solved almost all of the decel popping i had after doing the high-flow A/C. Already had the V&H staggered exhaust pipes on the engine when I got the bike.

I like the fact that it has an autotune option if you are not completely happy with the download. But in my case I was. I also like the fact that you can mount the phone on your handle bar and then use the app to monitor sensor info. Very neat feature!

Unfortunately, my '12 FLHTCU103 (Ultra Classic) does not have the CANbus (HDLan). So I can't use an FP3 on this bike, or I would have one on it already!!!

Cheers,

TQ

That's why you have to choose your dealer carefully. Some dealers have great people working there and are driven to have great customer service not just filling up the coffers of the dealer principle.
I have found that out. Dealer I bought from made a good deal only because they wanted to out do a salesman that left their dealership I use to buy from. When I drove off I felt like I did something wrong. Strange feeling but I haven't heard one word from them. No thank you letter or call or survey. Never even call when tags came in. So I haven't been back. Sometimes I guess you should pay a bit more for service down the road.

Is the Dyno tune pretty much the same as the fuelpak? The motorcycle shop in my town does Dyno tunes but it's not a HD dealer. Just thinking about support but FP3 video seem easy. I have download on phone and IPad and tried the demo. I think I can figure that out just will not be sure if it's correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the Dyno tune pretty much the same as the fuelpak? The motorcycle shop in my town does Dyno tunes but it's not a HD dealer. Just thinking about support but FP3 video seem easy. I have download on phone and IPad and tried the demo. I think I can figure that out just will not be sure if it's correct.

No, a Dyno is a machine hooked to your scoot to dial everything in. Lot's of info is gleaned from dyno runs such as HP and TQ values.

The tuner will give you a dyno sheet when he's done so you'll know how the scoot is performing.

No, a Dyno is a machine hooked to your scoot to dial everything in. Lot's of info is gleaned from dyno runs such as HP and TQ values.

The tuner will give you a dyno sheet when he's done so you'll know how the scoot is performing.
Wonder what the price difference between the 2, Dyno vs FP3?

Prices vary, I've seen anywhere between 2 and 4 hundred depending on where you go. I've seen higher but those speed shops want to pay off the dyno and is not necessary in my opinion. A good tech will take about 4 or 5 hours to tune it correctly depending on the mods done.

The key to a good dyno tune is the tech doing the tune.

Last edited:
Prices vary, I've seen anywhere between 2 and 4 hundred depending on where you go. I've seen higher but those speed shops want to pay off the dyno and is not necessary in my opinion. A good tech will take about 4 or 5 hours to tune it correctly depending on the mods done.

The key to a good dyno tune is the tech doing the tune.
I think I'm just going to try the FP3 for 4 bills.

Kbscooter,
After giving your post some thought when you asked about the Dyno tune did you mean Dynojet? If that's the case we're talking about 2 different things. The info I gave you referred to having your scoot Dyno tuned.

If you meant a Dynojet tuner you're still talking in the 4 hundred + dollar range.

Last edited:
KBscooter,
Adding to Jeff's above post. In order to have your motor dyno tuned, you need a "flash" tuner that can re-program the ECM. The bike goes on the dyno, the operator reads the inputs from the ECM and makes adjustments to fuel, air, timing, etc.. The changes are made directly to the ECM and become the new "program". These types of tuners "marry" to the VIN of the bike and can only be used on that bike.

The FP3 is a flash tuner but it lacks the tables of more sophisticated tuners like the Power Vision, SEPST, SERT, and TTS Mastertune. Addtionally, the app is required which means a PDA, cell phone, IPad, etc. are required to connect the FP3 so the tuner can see what's going and make changes. The tuners that I have heard from don't like this feature. The all have large monitors to read inputs and changes are much easier to make.

For a little more $$, one can purchase a more sophisticated system and also cough up the $$ for a dyno tune which runs about $300 I my neck of the woods. However, if the owner's plans are Stage I and maybe a mild cam, I think the FP3 and it's auto tune feature would be fine, particularly if there isn't easy access to a competent tuner. JMHO.

There is a lot of good advice here from members in the know about aftermarket tuner. If you have a Harley dealer that you trust talk to them about the Harley tuner. I have found that different shops both Indi and Harley work best with the product they know best. Some Harley shops work well with several different tuners and some will stick with the Harley tuners. Some Indi's know how to work with several tuners including the Harley. The important thing to remember is to tell the tech what type riding you do most and what you want out of the bike. If you're going to do the upgrades in steps a good tech will tell you the best way to get where you're going.

Back