free website stats program stage 1 carb kit | Harley Davidson Forums

stage 1 carb kit

kemo

R.I.P
What do you recommend for a stage 1 carb kit? What are the pluses and negatives. Does it affect fuel milage. I am getting a carb backfire sometimes. I don't have a intake leak. The backfire started after I installed a A/N big sucker air cleaner setup.

Hobbit the engine is stock except for air cleaner. I plan to install aa 510 grind cam set later. Haven't decided which it will be gear drive or roller chain. I really do not want to do exhaust. I don't really need more power just more realibilty. Those tensioners problems are playing around in my head

Before you increase the high speed jet, try this first to see if it needs it, they are usually pretty close because EPA usually tests the low speed circuits and not the high speed ones. Moving the needle up with 2 washers will usually give all that's needed.

Here's a quick test that will tell you if you have to fat of a jet in the top end....
Run the bike through the gears into third gear and run third up to 60-70 MPH full throttle, then chop the throttle about 1/8 to 1/4 back and see if the bike either surges ahead or stumbles then recovers.

If it surges ahead, your jetting is lean
If it stumbles and recovers , your jetting is rich
If it makes no difference, you're pretty close.

Quick and easy, pretty accurate too.

Back