free website stats program Sta-Bo Installed! | Harley Davidson Forums

Sta-Bo Installed!

ocezam

Wow. Not sure why I didn't do this before.

The last several weeks, I've been searching and reading this and other forums for what swing arm stabilizer I would try on my '08 FLHTP. True Track, Ride-Str8, Touring Link, Alloy-Art, TXR, CCE, Glide Pro, Sta-Bo, etc. There are a bunch of them out there, and there are a bunch of opinions on each.

There are two main groups of stabilizers: Those installed outside the swingarm pivots and those installed inside. The prices run from $100 to nearly $500. It seemed to me after reading hundreds of posts, that almost everyone that tried any of these products was happy with the new tighter handling of their bike. Some, very few, mentioned added vibration after installation and almost all of these were able to correct that with adjustments or added grease, or re-installing the product, depending on the exact product they had chosen. A few people even put one each of both types of stabilizers on their bike. After riding mine I see no reason to add anything else.

I chose Sta-Bo for four main reasons:
1. At $110 shipped it's one of the cheapest I've found.
2. It fits completely in the frame. No loss of clearance anywhere.
3. The only people who mentioned added vibration cured it with grease.
4. No added stress to the oil pan bolts.

Installation took 15 to 20 minutes. Really. I suspect my Tru-Duals helped with this. If you've got a factory crossover pipe to deal with it may take you 45-60 minutes, but this is the most simple mod I've ever done to a motorcycle.

The handling is wonderful. I noticed the difference right away. Even at parking lot speeds the bike is much more solid. It actually feels lighter. It's easier to practice the slow speed skills taught in the DVD "Ride Like A Pro". The bike is more precise in every way.

Most people are aware the most obvious place to experience "Bagger Wobble" or "Rear Steer" is in high speed sweepers with bumps or undulations in them.

There is a 65 mph corner on the interstate on my way to work that had a seriously high "Pucker Factor" on my Glide with stock suspension. It was never a problem with my solid mount Sportster, or the hardtail I built several years ago, but I hated that bend on my bagger. Today, after installing the Sta-Bo bushings I took that bend with no excitement at all. I turned around at the next exit, went back and took it at 80mph. Awesome. What a difference.

I feel no added vibration a with these bushings (I greased them extremely well) and am very happy with their performance.

I am sure that the other brands and styles of stabilizers work well also. Anything that cancels the lateral movement of the swing arm will drastically improve the handling of rubber mount Harleys. I suppose each style has it's pros and cons.

I am happy with my decision.

HPIM1281-1.jpg

Don't understand why you need a stabilizer on the swing arm. I've road Harleys all my life and never had any reason to H-D makes a very stabile platform in my oppinion. I would find better thing s to spend my money on.

Don't understand why you need a stabilizer on the swing arm. I've road Harleys all my life and never had any reason to H-D makes a very stabile platform in my oppinion. I would find better thing s to spend my money on.

Well that says everything about your riding and nothing about your bike. Of the hundreds of posts I've read on the subject. There is one comment such as yours for every 50-75 comments regarding rear steer mitigation.

Personally, my bikes performance is much more important than Bling. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Edit: I guess it does say something about your bike. I just noticed you ride a tri-glide. Incredible...

Well that says everything about your riding and nothing about your bike. Of the hundreds of posts I've read on the subject. There is one comment such as yours for every 50-75 comments regarding rear steer mitigation.

Personally, my bikes performance is much more important than Bling. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Edit: I guess it does say something about your bike. I just noticed you ride a tri-glide. Incredible...

Easy does it there guys, we don't allow any flaming on the forum.:s

ocezam, you can see why I made that statement,(TRIGLIDE) very stabile, not to ruffle anyones feathers. My son has rode a 2007 Street Glide since new a has never complained of a stability problem He is also a aggressive rider and can ride curves with anyone. And for the record I don't spend a lot of money on bling.

Thanks for the post ocezam, I will be installing the Sta-Bo bushing his winter as part as as my winter thing... I have had the dreaded speed wobble a few times (only when I am playing), so I will try these bushings as they can't hurt..I have had them for about 5 or 6 months, just not installed yet... Glad you are happy with yours and I will post on here now mine are if the weather ever smarten up,, sorry that could be 4 months yet (oh well, just the time of year)... I didn't think I hated winter this much till I bought a Harley:D:D

Just ordered a set for my 06' RG tonight.

The guy I spoke with was excellent in explaining some details and even in offering some advice on another issue. Instead of trying to sell me his front motor mount, he gave me some advice to check on mine before ordering a new one.

Looking forward to getting the Sta-Bo for my bike.

Back