free website stats program St Augustine Harley Dealer Closing | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

St Augustine Harley Dealer Closing

sounds almost like a buy-out just the way they did tobacco growers they paid them not to raise tobacco and then went to a contract system where they could control who grew it and what type they grew,maybe just the way the big corporate world is coming to.

If I read the article correctly the MOCO is offering an incentive (Money) for a dealership to close. They would rather a dealer close up shop and lay people off than have them sell the dealership to someone who would keep it open and people employed? There must be a logical (from the MOCOs') explanation but it escapes me!!!

Don, JMO but I bet we will see more smaller dealers closing soon, they can not out perform the bigger franchises like Daytona, Adamecs 3 locations here in Jacksonville, TCHD in Minnesota and Zylstra HD

Don, JMO but I bet we will see more smaller dealers closing soon, they can not out perform the bigger franchises like Daytona, Adamecs 3 locations here in Jacksonville, TCHD in Minnesota and Zylstra HD

Jack you are probably right and I guess it makes sense on a financial statement. But making someone drive to another city to get parts and service would seem to be the way to get people to buy another brand of motorcycle. I know people that would like to have a BMW but won't buy one because there are so few dealers and service centers.

Jack you are probably right and I guess it makes sense on a financial statement. But making someone drive to another city to get parts and service would seem to be the way to get people to buy another brand of motorcycle. I know people that would like to have a BMW but won't buy one because there are so few dealers and service centers.

Agree, I guess the slow economy has taken a bite out of HD and the days of the home town dealer we all knew and grew up with is over, and you are right it will force many to ride farther maybe even switch to brand X or Z to fill the void, what a shame

Since Harley dealers are privatley owned and not franchised what does it cost the MOCO to keep them open? I must be missing something. The only thing I can come up with is that the larger dealers have put pressure on the MOCO so that they can gain the smaller dealers business. Hopefully some of the employees from St. Augustine will be hired by the larger dealers.

Since Harley dealers are privatley owned and not franchised what does it cost the MOCO to keep them open? I must be missing something. The only thing I can come up with is that the larger dealers have put pressure on the MOCO so that they can gain the smaller dealers business. Hopefully some of the employees from St. Augustine will be hired by the larger dealers.

Exactly, I bet they are being leveraged out for bigger market share by larger more efficient dealers

sounds like what i said in my post above they forced out the little growers
5 to 20 acres and deal with the big growers up to 200 to 300 acres to grow the product they want and fewer people to deal with and can control margin of profit.they are now growing burly over-seas because they can grow it cheaper and ship it back here to carolinas and va to process it.sound familiar? got a buddy who just lost his job with largest cigarette maker last yr. he was a buyer and also a blender for that co. for 34 yrs

It's the sign of the times and the headquarters are going to 'prune' the tree a bit more. The hidden things not mentioned in the article about the dealer closure are the sales figures for new motorcycle sales, under-producing dealerships will be trimmed. On another forum two Honda dealers and possibly a Harley dealership owned by the Honda dealership may close.
I dislike seeing people loose their jobs and businesses, it will continue until things get better.
On a good note Gulf Coast Harley Davidson in New Port Richey has started on a dealership in Panama City, FL

When is that dealership supposed to be completed? I'm sure that's a loaded question, but I thought they might have a projection.

This is real sad, nice store with a great staff. I've never had anything but excellent service at Destination Datona but it's just so big, I like small. I liked Robison's!

Back