free website stats program Squeeling Brakes, Help!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Squeeling Brakes, Help!!!

gil7247

I replaced the brake pads on my 05 Road Glide and now they squeel at low speed. I cleaned the calipers with brake cleaner to no avail. If I put light pressure on the lever the noise stops but returns when I release. Any help would be appreciated they're driving me nuts!!

This may not apply here, but on automotive applications there is some sort of blue? grease that goes on the back of the pads. I believe this is to reduce squealing. Something about reducing friction between the pad and the caliper. I think this is some sort of high temperature grease so it won't melt and ooze out.

This may not apply here, but on automotive applications there is some sort of blue? grease that goes on the back of the pads. I believe this is to reduce squealing. Something about reducing friction between the pad and the caliper. I think this is some sort of high temperature grease so it won't melt and ooze out.

I was an automotive mechanic for years and there are a number of products available which you apply to the brake pad backing plates where they seat against the piston(s) and caliper. Brake squeal is often caused by vibration of the pads and these products will dampen out that vibration and in most cases, completely eliminate the squeal.

It goes on the backs of the pads as a thick liquid but sets up to a rubber like consistency once it cures. I use a product called Kleen-flo brake quiet but there are a number of other similar products which work equally well. I have not used this on motorcycle brakes but I would expect that the same principals apply.

Just have to be careful not to use to much as it can make a bit of a mess when you install the pads and the excess squeezes out.

Hey guys, thanks again as usual you were spot on. I swapped the rotors (left on right and right on left) and also took my dremmel tool and chanfered the pads and it wook out 99% of the noise. I think the rest may go away with use as my rear pads did.(they squeeled a little when first installed) If not I may try the anti squeel product that glider suggested. Thanks again.

Back