free website stats program squeaky rear brake | Harley Davidson Forums

squeaky rear brake

My rear brake started squeaking at 700 miles and is still squeaking at 2600. The dealer tells me not much I can do short of changing the pads. Any ideas?

Had a similar problem on my 92 softail back brake would squeal when applying moderate pressure pulled the brake pads coated the back of the pads with copper grease and squeal was gone

Brian

How about the front brake. My '05 Ultra has been making a noise for about 20k miles. I only hear it when I use it. The dealer told me it was normal. Should I use different brand pads or a grease on the back of the pad (like on a car) when I put new on?

Got the same problem with my 2008 Ultra. Got the bike this year with 1500 miles on it. 9,000 now and it started at about 2,000 miles. Dealer says they can fix it. Will add to this thread later.

My 08 FLHR rear brakes (ABS) did the same as described. Enough to drive you nuts I know. The squeaking stopped at about 5,000 miles for me at least. At about 11,000 miles or so I took the calipers off and cleaned them thoroughly with brake cleaner, and filed the pads front edges. Still no squeal.

I changed the rear pads at 17,000 miles using the new HD anti-squeal pad kit w/paste. 4,000 miles later still no squeal. Front pads still do not squeal. If you go to another brand of pads, make sure they are compatible to your stock rotors since they will accelerate wear I understand.

Most I hear recommend Lyndall Racing pads and rotors. I'm more than happy with HD pads as of now.

Lyndall Racing pads are pretty much called the best a organic pad wont accelerate wear but they wont hold up as well to a ton of braking if they get hot they wear fast

Back