free website stats program squeaking noise in engine | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

squeaking noise in engine

Many times the needle bearing from the lifter will come out and shear the oil pump drive key. Now here is the tricky part, the oil seding unit needs about 3 lbs of oil pressure to turn the light off. You ride the bike with almost no oil pressure but are unaware as the light is out. The key is in fact sheared however it will still put enough friction on the pump to make a small amount of pressure for a short time.

turns out that one of the lifters roller on the bottom was not turning smoothly indicating that the needle bearings inside were worn. Replaced the lifter, noise gone.

Ooooh good thing you caught that before it came apart.

Many times the needle bearing from the lifter will come out and shear the oil pump drive key. Now here is the tricky part, the oil seding unit needs about 3 lbs of oil pressure to turn the light off. You ride the bike with almost no oil pressure but are unaware as the light is out. The key is in fact sheared however it will still put enough friction on the pump to make a small amount of pressure for a short time.

I've seen that happen a few times. I changed the hyd lifters in my '96 some years ago because of a "rumor" that a bad batch of lifters made it into some Dynas.

Back