free website stats program squeaking noise in engine | Harley Davidson Forums

squeaking noise in engine

nascar7613

1995 Wide Glide. When I first start the engine it is fairly quiet, but after it warms up there is a squeaking noise that sounds like it is coming from inside the rear rocker box. Took the rocker cover off and found nothing obvious. Not sure where to go from here. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Most of the time the type of noise your describing is a leaking head gasket

Most of the time the type of noise your describing is a leaking head gasket

Or exhaust leak at the flange, check to be sure push rods are not rubbing inside the tubes?

Just for grins, jack the rear tire off the ground. Get someone to help man the controls, start the engine and put the tranny in second. Have your help slowly release the clutch and let the wheel spin, controlling the speed with the brake. Using an old candle or marker crayon, rub both the inside and the outside edges of the belt being careful not to get caught by any turning bits.

If you want, you can sub in some Pledge rather than crayon or candle, but it may get slung around a bit.

See if that gets rid of your squeal.

TQ

Also spray a little silicone lube on the rear muffler mount rubbers, they dry out and will sqeak
Ken

All great tips! I first thought exhaust leak. However the others are very valid noise makers as you describe.

1995 Wide Glide. When I first start the engine it is fairly quiet, but after it warms up there is a squeaking noise that sounds like it is coming from inside the rear rocker box. Took the rocker cover off and found nothing obvious. Not sure where to go from here. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Is it a constant or a "sometime" squeak ,was it all at once or over time, does it vary with increase of speed , is it a metal to metal or a metal to rubber squeak , when its warm and start making the noise is your oil pressure ok , have you done a "pinpoint check" by listening for the noise with a - short piece of wooden broom handle / screwdriver / stethascope or a comp. test to make sure its coming from the rocker box???? How many miles / mods / upgrades does she have on her? I take it when you put the R B cover back on it didnt "cure" the squeak?

turns out that one of the lifters roller on the bottom was not turning smoothly indicating that the needle bearings inside were worn. Replaced the lifter, noise gone.

don't know how many miles you have on your bike ,but ya gotta figure 30k or more on a set of lifters is a lot of miles and if you have adj. pushrods, thenthe lifters are easy to change. just thinking. better to do preventative maintenamce than get caught out on a trip with trouble.

Back