free website stats program Squeaking belt: Napa syl- glide or....? | Harley Davidson Forums

Squeaking belt: Napa syl- glide or....?

craig Lee

OK, here we again and again and...:) 90,000+ miles on my '08 SG and 80,000+ miles on Mz Bling's '06 1200C Sporty. I've completely cleaned the belt and rear pulley twice within one week with hot water and Dawn detergent using a toothbrush with a very good rinsing. A slight squeak comes back and have read different opinions: 1. use a belt dressing or Napa syl-glide is a good fix 2. Never use a dressing on a serpentine belt 3. replace the belt and rear sprocket
I hope I'm not opening a "beat up" can of worms but thinking a little dab of Napa syl-glide might be cheaper than a new belt/pulley. Any experience yay or nay on the Napa product or belt dressing? Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

Adjust the belt tension a wee bit loose and that should ease the squeal also ensure the rear wheel is inline
Using the correct procedure and tool to set belt tension always has mine squealing so I just set it a wee bit loose no noise no problems

Brian

Adjust the belt tension a wee bit loose and that should ease the squeal also ensure the rear wheel is inline
Using the correct procedure and tool to set belt tension always has mine squealing so I just set it a wee bit loose no noise no problems

Brian
Thanks Brian and yes, belt tension on the "loose side" has been my motto for years (I went through my main shaft bearing at 31,000 miles and again at 43,000 miles opting for the Baker DD7) as I've posted in other threads. I and others have felt that that factory specs are way to tight which I think was the issue with the bearing going out. Now, when at full operating temperature, pulley expanded, etc. I still have close to 7/16" of play in the belt. No bearing problems with over 90,000 miles. Just the minor squeak issue. :)

I do my belt tension by feel similar tension as I would use on a chain so I am not good on exact measurement from reading other posts if I remember correctly Dolt uses a 90 degree turn on the belt at mid point as his tension test and I think that would work for me also
Perhaps it is worth trying a wee bit less tension for a wee while to se if it does the trick

Brian

I know and agree with the "no dressing" on HD belts. But with those mileages I would try some. The option being $$$ for R&R of belts and pulleys.

Believe IT or Not,

I'd try REadjusting JUST a TAD looser....Knowing you do 7/16 ? HOT... Maybe one /16th looser might do the trick or tighter from your 7/16ths...

I run my 09 with original belt (123,000+ miles on it) at 7/8 to 1 inch loose when cool and it moves about a 1/2 inch-3/8 Hot...

Worth a try...

I also run the DD7 in my 09....SWEET DEAL.....

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited:
I do my belt tension by feel similar tension as I would use on a chain so I am not good on exact measurement from reading other posts if I remember correctly Dolt uses a 90 degree turn on the belt at mid point as his tension test and I think that would work for me also
Perhaps it is worth trying a wee bit less tension for a wee while to se if it does the trick

Brian
I think Dolt uses a 45* twist . I just read it yesterday .

F.K.

I have the Original belt/pulleys with that Mileage on them... I have NO Noise...
IF I had a squeal occasionally and Knew it was not the Brake, I would Dress the belt using white canning wax or a candle rubbing the edges of the belt... (NON Scented) helps keep Dogs away from Sniffing and the Other ... Lol...

Little Wax Might give relief from the noise...

The Napa Silglide is not going to hurt a worn belt, make sure it is clean first, jack up the rear and work the silglide into each groove of the belt, let it sit over night

Back