free website stats program sputtering then stalled | Harley Davidson Forums

sputtering then stalled

killertiki

Hi guys,just bought a 2002 883 sportster,cruising home, and it sputtered a little wouldnt get any speed, and then died,wont start up again,the bike sat for a while before i bought it, am new to harleys, but assume its a carb thing,its got gas wants to start,just doesnt, just checking to see what you guys think?
carbs?

Drain the tank and put some fresh gas in it for starters. Possibly have to clean the fuel strainer in the petcock.

Have to give a shout out to my new bud Dave, who passed by me broke down,spun around and asked if i needed help,drove his bike home and got his trailer,and trailered my bike home for me, making him late for work, the brotherhood rocks!!!!

It does sound like a fuel problem, you might also take a look at the vacuum line that runs to the fuel valve just to make sure it's on there good.

As most have stated, starving for fuel could mean simple foul gas, debris in the float bowl, obstructed inlet filter, cracked vacumn line or bad inlet fuel valve diaphram...! Funny thing is I have owned six bikes and have had or seen all of them before. I seem to recall somewhere that sometimes troubleshooting is something to be saved for the young...its late and time to get some shuteye for this old timer...:small3d007:

all fixed up, it was the spark plug wire, where it plugs into the box, had a bad connection, runs great now, thanks all.

Back