Sprocket change-over problem

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by bigalturk1, May 9, 2015.

1. bigalturk1

bigalturk1 Member

I changed the front belt sprocket on my 2000 Nightrain to 34T (Was 32T), for less Hi-way RPM. I also installed a new (Stock replacement) 1-1/8" drive belt & still have a 70 Tooth rear sprocket.
    Problem: Sometimes when riding 2-up my belt skims the starter Jackshaft.
    Fix: Install a 66 Tooth wheel sprocket to lower height of belt
    But... I can't find a 66 tooth rear sprocket that uses a 1-1/8" (1.125) belt!

Anyone know of an application I can refer to so I can purchase a 66 Tooth sprocket to fit my 1-1/8" belt?

2. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

Check Tucker Rocky/Bikers Choice. ON about page 1050/1051 they show one by Ride wright Pulleys. It's special order(4-6 wks.) about $450.00. Might be cheaper to go to the 1" belt pulley if mounting holes are the same. But then you would need a 1" belt also. Extra cost.
    tourbox

3. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

I don't think you're dropping enough significant RPM'S on the top end to make a big difference. Your bottom end will also suffer making the change. Harley's like to run at higher RPM'S and I doubt you'll see much milage savings with the sprocket change. JMHO.

4. kc5gxc

kc5gxc Member

Why not stiffen up the rear shocks?