free website stats program Sprocket and compensator | Harley Davidson Forums

Sprocket and compensator

pelletier

2010 FLH Roadking
want to change the engine sprocket to lower RPM.. Is the sprocket and compensator all one piece.. If so can one buy the package with a differnant tooth ratio?

thanks in advance

EVO industries makes different sprockets but you loose the compensator feature, they are a solid sprocket and are a bit harder on the crank which starts off as a weak link in the engine. I think EVO goes in the opposite direction that you are looking to go.

30T SPROCKET FOR 2006 DYNA 2007-LATER BIG TWIN 30T SPROCKET FOR 2006 DYNA 2007-LATER BIG TWIN [] : Evolution Industries, Motorcycle Division Catalog

Remember that lowering the RPM at highway speeds will also effect the low speed response too in stop and go traffic making it a bit harder to pull out without slipping the clutch more.

I agree with Glider (no surprise) that you will lose low end performance. The easiest change is to replace the trans pulley.

I agree with Glider (no surprise) that you will lose low end performance. The easiest change is to replace the trans pulley.

Don, how about the rear pulley, dont the international models use a different pulley and belt?

Changing pulleys will effect a few things like the speedo and the sixth gear indicator light, just keep that in mind if you go that route. The sixth gear indicator relies on engine speed verses road speed to operate, once you alter that ratio, no more light.

Jack you can change the rear pulley but it is cheaper to go the trans pulley route.

That's the first time I've heard of going to a lower RPM (higher ratio) sprocket. While it is nice to cruise at a lower rpm, most Harleys are set from the factory to give a nice cruise rpm. I have heard of guys going to a lower ratio (higher RPM) sprocket for the snappy take off (at least on Dynas). But it then makes the criuse rpm higher.

If you do choose to do so, you'd have to put up with the incorrect speedo readout (as previously said) unless you buy a programmable speedo (like Dakota).

I once had larger wheels and tires on a Camaro in my youth, and I was always going slower around cops afraid I was really going to fast.

With a TTS tuner, the primary ratio constants can be changed in the ECM to get the 6th gear light back.

thanks everyone for the input.. I am going to use the 30t from Evo.. I have a TMax so i wont lose cruise control.. keep you posted ..

Back