free website stats program springer steering head | Harley Davidson Forums

springer steering head

poohbear

I have a 2009 crossbones and it says that the Springer steering head needs to be adjusted every 2500 miles. I know I need to let them do it for the warranty but after because I can put 2500 on in a month but how hard is it to do, I know it a special tool from HD but I've been doing most of the service on my Harley's from about 1972, rebuild the motor and chopped my old panhead. I've ordered the service manual already, but haven't seen it yet.

I have the 08 crossbones. I talked to our local master tech about the front end. He stated the steering head should be check at 20,000.

Something I had an issue at 3000 miles was my handles bars kept comming loose. When the local dealer tried to find the problem they found the riser's were cracked. They replacd the risers and put the hard poly bushing's inplace of the stock rubber ones. My bike now goes down the road with out the wobble it had at 30 to 65 mph.:D

Well the riser issue is good to know as I had a wobble on mine at about 40mph with about 3500 miles on it. they mess with the front end and wheel it was still there. I kept telling them replace the tire, after about 5 trips back and fore they finally did replace the tire and it cured the wobble.
PS. I'm from Canon City but in the Dubai UAE, with the crossbones, which I brought over with me.

I was in Canon City last Friday at a man's bike shop (Mike) Can't remember His last name.
He owns and works on older Haleys, and starting to do the twin cams.
He was headed to Iowa Tuesday on his knuckle. Its a great place to see, like a musem.
I am outside of Gunnison, if U need anything let me know.
He is really into flowing heads and is very good at it. I am thinking about doing the heads on our roadking next March.
I can get His info if you want it.
Ken:D

Last edited:
Its really not that hard to adjust steering head bearings ("fall away") You should buy a service manual.

Ordered the book...just having seen it yet, take weeks to get things here so I guess I'll order the tool also. Thanks

Back