Springer Classic Advice Please

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by Dooose, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Dooose

Dooose Member

Hello all,

1st time poster - long time lurker.

I've found the bike of my dreams . . . an '07 Springer Classic at a good price. I'm about to pull-the-trigger, but then I do another search of the site and find a post talking about the pain-in-the-butt factor of maintaining the springer front-end. Is this something that is a major concern?

Also, the bike is a fair distance away. There are no Springer Classics around here that are available to ride, but I've ridden a Deluxe. I fit well, and the ride was great. Is this a fair comparison, or do I need to track down a springer to try before the buy?

Thanks a ton for all of the great info contained on this site; it is mucho appreciated.

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

The springer front end has a lot of pros and cons. It looks great but does require some maintenance to keep it tight. The ride is a bit different too when cornering because of the rocker at the bottom, it's a different sensation as the wheel rebounds. I would suggest test riding one before buying one to see if it's for you.

3. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

Love the springer frontend.Maintanance is not that big of an issue.Never once had to replace fork oil.Pay attention to your rocker bearings every 20k and youre all set.Changing a tire can be an adventure though.Alot more moving parts than a conventional front end.One huge downside is availability of risers and bar options if not happy with stock.Ness does have a triple tree plate swap that allows you to accept all riser/bar combos but it is pricey, requireing a good bit of labor.

[​IMG]

4. TCSTD

TCSTD Account Removed

I don't have the Classic model but I do have a Springer. Have had it since 2005 and haven't had any problems with it. I've been told by people with more knowledge than I have that it requires a different kind of maintance than other front ends, but I didn't care. I like the looks of it and I bought it. So far, no dissapointments and it has gotten some very good comments from those that have seen it.

5. Dooose

Dooose Member

Thanks all for the feedback. The deal is on-hold until a test ride can be organized. In my mind that's the motorcycle for me . . . a bit different from most, and room to individulize it even more. But, it's a bit more of an investment compared to my 2 Triumphs so I better be sure.

Dooose

6. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

The springer youre looking at is a truely classic scoot. It will get more looks than your buddies road king no matter were you go.

7. oilman1994

oilman1994 Member

i recently bought a cross bones and i have no complaints about the front end. i do have a larger front tire (190 i believe) so i'm sure that might make a difference.

8. chuck byrd

chuck byrd New Member

Buy the heratige springer i have a 97 & 98 love them both, chuck in myrtle beach s.c

9. jonny oz

jonny oz Member

If it were me, I would buy it, no test drive needed. I demo'd a springer classic a few years ago and loved it. I would be extremely surprised if you weren't completely thrilled with that bike.

10. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

HOLY "EASY RIDER", BATMAN!

LOVE that paint job!!!! Is that your second scoot? (or third, from the look of the garage?)

We have 3 Rich.The wife road the shadow for 4 seasons as a learning bike.Great bike to learn on by the way.Eventualy our 1 hour trips started turning into 1 week trips so I had to buy a bagger last season.It realy worked out great, she road my springer last season and made the transition to her new streetglide realy smooth.My pride took a good hit on that one, we'd pull in somewere and Id be all proud of my new scoot only to see cameras a blazing at the wife on the old softail.Never got looks like that when I was riding it lol.So the Honda's gone now and she still wont let me part with the springer.Who am I to argue?