free website stats program spring | Harley Davidson Forums

spring

hi had scooter in cold garage[not mine] all winter. 2003 heritage softail, what is proper procedure for defrosting. i am worried about sumping. thanks in advance.

I don't know about others here but when I put my bikes up for the winter I change the fluids,fill the tank add a bit of Stabil and put them on a tender.All of them sit in a cold garage.(1981 Honda,1993 FXRS and my 07 EGS) Come spring I just fire them up and ride.I have never had a problem.

AS far as the sumping, pull the oil stick if it is real low the crank case is flooded with oil, charge the battery, if it is flooded with oil it will puke out of the air cleaner when you start it

Check the oil level in the oil tank. If it is about where you left when you put it up for storage you should not have a sumping problem. If it's down below half I have removed the spark plugs and cranked the motor over and the oil that has drained into the crankcase will be pumped back into the oil tank.

Check the oil level in the oil tank. If it is about where you left when you put it up for storage you should not have a sumping problem. If it's down below half I have removed the spark plugs and cranked the motor over and the oil that has drained into the crankcase will be pumped back into the oil tank.

Ground the plug wires during cranking:D Good point Don:D

hey, guys used everybodys knowledge pulled plugs, checked oil in tank, no oil cranked her over for a few seconds reinstalled plugs. third crank she fired. let warm up, shut down, waited checked oil, oil is where it is supposed to be. took her home, ran great on the way thanks again.::ap

My '05 lost all the oil over this winter. Stick was dry. I started it up and let it idle till it was hot. Oil level returned to proper level on the stick. I didn't experience any puking out the air breather thankfully. It didn't lose any oil last winter so I was surprised that this year it "sumped" all the oil. Didn't seem to hurt anything.

Back