free website stats program Spring under the tour pak | Harley Davidson Forums

Spring under the tour pak

Scrounger

Can the spring under the tour pac that holds the passengers comm connection be removed. The one on my '10 Limited is already a rusty mess and not sure what can be used to replace it with something that is not so nasty looking.

Can the spring under the tour pac that holds the passengers comm connection be removed. The one on my '10 Limited is already a rusty mess and not sure what can be used to replace it with something that is not so nasty looking.

Because it is a new bike, I would get replacement from the dealer...I would then heavily grease with clear dielectric grease or such...wiping off excess but do it once every 3-6 months now that you know it is a trouble area.:s

Sure. It is only there to keep the plug in the bracket under the Tour-Pak. You can replace it with anything that will do the same thing. I suggest a small bungee cord.

TQ

If you coat the spring with any type of grease, it will collect road dust and grime and turn really nasty. use some type of rust preventative such as used on wood working tools that will not collect dust. I think some is put out by Boeing.

Hey Scrounger, I love to use clear silicone every chance I get. Could you use the clear silicone to hold the socket in the bracket and then after it drys, remove the spring entirely?
Just a thought.

Just remove the spring all together and simply use a plastic wire / cable tie to secure to the carriage, just like they did the other cable. I can't beleive they used that stupid ugly spring to begin with. Never did understand that. Takes all of 1 minute and it is done with.

Any parts store, Home Depot or even Walmart carry light duty springs. All that spring is for is to give the connector a little bit of "give" should your passenger get off without unplugging. I picked up some stainless steel ones (I think they were carb springs of some kind) and hooked them in with small nylon zip ties. Works good. No rust.

Back