free website stats program Spray Chrome? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spray Chrome?

I'm pretty sure everyone is on the same page here, but I just want to point out that the process I am talking about is a professional chrome painting process and not something coming out of a wal-mart 5 dollar spray paint can. According to the fellow's email, they sand and prep all the surfaces, spray several layers of chrome on using a gun similar too or exactly like the one in the above video and then according to him they use 3 layers of clear coat as a protectant. As mentioned by others, he said they can mix it up slightly and include color as well as applications in gold, bronze, and other medal finishes.

Sometime next week I should have the new lower forks installed so I will likely go ahead and have them paint my old ones just to see how this process works out assuming they don't want a bunch of money.

I might mention that when I was researching this process I learned from a few beginners that the process is not easy to get correctly. Apparently if the formula is not mixed correctly and various other factors are not considered properly, the paint can "turn" and become gold or other funky colors which I would assume would have to be repainted. So if you go this route, I would definitely make sure you are dealing with someone who has done this a few times as you probably don't want them experimenting on your parts.

Are you telling me that they will likely quote as much as an electroplating job would cost? If that's the case I cant see a single reason to do it other then for certain applications where you cant use electroplating. An example would be in painting a car or something. I might could also see it being cheaper to paint the engine block still installed instead of disassembling everything and then plating it.

WOW, that Mirrachrome paint is $375/QT.
I think I've seen this or something like it on one of the TV car shows. But they were doing gauge bezels or some dash stuff. Looked OK from where I sat on the other side of the TV. This doesn't seem like a "just as good as and cheaper" alternative to real electro plating. But for the right application, who knows. I'd like to know more about it.

Back