sporty won't start need advice

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by scootman72, Apr 29, 2016.

1. scootman72

scootman72 Member

I have a 1990 sportster im trying to get running. This is where I am . Full battery charge. Good starter and solenoid(tested). Getting power to start button but not getting anything when I push it. Also getting power when off switch is switched off. So in short when I push the button I get nothing no click Nada. But have power to everything.

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

When you say power when switch off do you mean run switch or ignition switch????

3. scootman72

scootman72 Member

Run stop switch. I have power to run switch. Stop switch. But I get nothing when I push start .

4. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

There is a jumper at the switch that gives power from Run/Kill to the start button. I believe it is white. The start button I think is black to the start relay. Check to see that you have power on one side of the start button and the other side when pushed. If no power on both sides then switch is bad.
    tourbox

5. scootman72

scootman72 Member

I have battery power to all switches no matter what position. And you were correct on wire colors. Could the nuetral switch have anything to do with it.

6. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

No the neutral switch won't effect starting on that year. Some where around '08 they came out with the neutral safety switch. The black wire(?), load side of starter switch, should go directly to the starter relay. You may want to check there for V dc when start button pushed. I attached a pic of term.# for the relay and where they go.
    tourbox

Attached Files:

7. scootman72

scootman72 Member

I did test the starter relay I got a click but I didn't check for v DC.

8. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

You need to ck. for V dc with button pushed on pin 85. You should also have 12 V dc on pin 30 all the time when Key switch is on. You can take a jumper from the + side of battery directly to the starter solenoid, this will eliminate your relay, just to see if it will turn over.
    tourbox

scootman72 likes this.
  9. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Has battery been properly bench and load tested. Do lights dim down when starter button applied?

10. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Also check for voltage at battery post on starter solenoid main post should read close to the same at battery