free website stats program Sporty Touring | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sporty Touring

Here's another thought. How many days are you planning to get up there? You could just pack enough clothes and toiletries to get you there and put those in a backpack. Everything else you could box up and ship UPS or Fedex and it should be there waiting for you.

Thats a good idea doc. I dont really have plans for how long I'm staying so this could be a good way to pack a few extra things that I wouldnt be able to take on the bike.

I was going to suggest shipping your 'extra' stuff too, but the good Dr. beat me to it.

Ah, the sacrifices we make to keep our bikes looking cool. :D I have the same problem with the deuce. :)

Thanks Doc and Fin. I will definitely have at least some kind of back pack. I've only got the 3.3 gal fuel tank so I have to stop about every 120 miles, hopefully that will keep my back from wearing out. I thought about the towel on the fender idea but Ive heard it could rub on the fender like sandpaper if its allowed to move even a little bit. Any thoughts on this?

There is a mini-fender rack that can be mounted to space behind your solo seat...and they do make saddle pack which can lay on top and secured with hooks. They also make tank bags that are either magnetic or strap mounted to sit atop the tank. Eclipse makes tankbag, that can double as a backpack with included straps and has a rear bottom strap the could slip over a sissy bar if you went that route (in the future of course).:D

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Luckily my nextdoor neighbor let me borrow a nice leather touring pack and a bunch of other gear that I can strap ontop the rear fender. It's good to have nice neighbors who ride.

Attachments

• 20100929232223.jpg
    20100929232223.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Luckily my nextdoor neighbor let me borrow a nice leather touring pack and a bunch of other gear that I can strap ontop the rear fender. It's good to have nice neighbors who ride.
Good deal, I'm really glad you appreciate having good neighbors. We have great neighbors & one just moved, I was pretty bummed, but the new neighbor rides and works on bikes so I think it is going to work out. :D

That is awesome, and if you had a well fitted tank bag (they cost about $50-75) you will have plenty of storage! May also think about a leather fork mounted tool bag, HD dealer carries LeatherWorks one for about $60-$65 don't forget to ask for a discount (oft times they will give 15-20% if you are a regular customer or a vet), and have still more storage space...http://www.leatherworksinc.com/95.php :s

Last edited:
Let us know how it turns out. Also dont let it pre determine your attitude on touring.
What you re doing is great fun but with proper prep. Touring to me IS riding.There's no other way to ride IMHO. Also I usually try to hit the ole Army Surplus store. All types of Bags and combinations of there of,that you could Imagine.

Back