free website stats program Sporty Touring | Harley Davidson Forums

Sporty Touring

Heyall I'm taking my 09' nightster on it's first cross country tour. It will be my first cross country too, 1200 miles From Atlanta to Boston. Does anyone have ideas on how I can pack some gear on the bike, without buying saddlebags? I'm leaving tomorrow and don't have the time. I thought about strapping some kind of pack on the rear fender. But the nightster has a nice shiny new bobbed rear fender and I dont want to tear it up. Any touring advice from you experienced riders would serve me well in the next few days.

This may be the one case when I wish I did have a pilion and backrest. The Nighster just has a solo seat and a shortened rear fender.

In the past i have used 2 large backpacks and tied the straps together and used them like saddlebags just cover the rear fender with a bit of old towel to protect the paint

Brian

First of all - have a great, safe trip and tell us all about it when you get back.

Now to your question. Since it's so last minute you don't have a lot of options. Seems like your ONLY options are some type of backpack (which will wear you out in a hurry on a long trip) or the fender behind your solo seat. If it was me, I'd duct tape some real soft material around your fender, making sure it doesn't interfere with the tire of course. Also make sure none of the actual tape comes in contact with your paint. Then you're going to have to use a cargo net or bungee cords to hold whatever soft luggage you decide to put behind you.

Thanks Doc and Fin. I will definitely have at least some kind of back pack. I've only got the 3.3 gal fuel tank so I have to stop about every 120 miles, hopefully that will keep my back from wearing out. I thought about the towel on the fender idea but Ive heard it could rub on the fender like sandpaper if its allowed to move even a little bit. Any thoughts on this?

I have a tank bag for going on the petrol tank the bag is removable from the supprt which has a soft underside and some powefull magnets to hold it in place something like that would sit on the rear fender and protect it

Brian

Does the Nightster allow to upgrade to a 2-up seat? Then you could attach a travel bag that strapes on. Kuryakyn makes a nice one that doesn't require a back rest but, needs to secure to the pilon section of the seat.

Kryakyn - Harley - GranTour Bag

I know you don't have a lot of time and the cost of a seat and luggage might blow the budget some. But, it's the thought that counts right?

I've been thinking about this for a bit myself. I have cheapo saddle bags and have been looking for a reasonable way to gain more luggage space without selling the bike and upgrading.

Good luck.

I have seen a few nightsters with a two-up and I personally don't like the look on this particular bike, especially with the short rear fender. But yes, either way, timie is the issue. Ive got about 14 hours to find the solution lol. It is the thought that counts Nakkers, thanks for the suggestion.

Back