free website stats program Sporty Tires | Harley Davidson Forums

Sporty Tires

johnwhite60

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this so bear with me. I have a 96 Sporty that needs tires before the start of riding season in Northern Ohio. I can get real good deals on-line, but since I have no way to change the tires myself, the local Cleveland, OH bike shops and dealers want to kill riders on a tire change. I could buy the tires from them, but it's a wash; more expensive tire cost, less to install or Low on-line tire cost and get robbed for an installation. Any thoughts out there. Thanks from an old vet that happens to love his Sportster.

John

If your taking the bike in for a tire change they're gonna get ya.:s The best way to do it is get the tire online, and take only the tires and wheel in to get them swapped. I pay 10 bucks at a dealer (not a HD dealer) down the road from where I work, and know of a few other places that charge between 10 and 20 dollars to swap a tire. Most shops around here kill ya on price if you take your bike in for a tire change. If you need to but a lift it will pay for it's self with in the first year of doing maintenance on your bike.

Wildspirit is correct...carry in tire mounting and balancing the tires is best...BUT, if you see a good price in a magazine (Motorcycle Accessory Wherehouse was where I got my tire at a great price) and bring ad with you to a metric shop ordering through them (they matched the price), mount and balance was free with carry-in.

Just make sure you dismount your tire carefully using your $60 HD Service Manual (it will pay for itself in just a few months), if unsure take plenty of digital pictures before, during and after, noting the axle/fork/overall frame alignment markings and locations of spacers washers and cotterpins etc. centering of the sprocket/belt drive, brake rotor(s)/caliper(s) and sequence all the hardware as you remove them. This is also a good time to do PM (Preventative Maintenance) 1) Make sure the bearings are packed and brakes are in good working order before, follow preload instruction using torque wrench and back off nut 1 or 1 1/2 nut castellations or preferably as specified in your manual, 2) Belt drive and sprocket check, 3) Brake Pad condition/Clean and lube piston and pin areas respectively, 4) Critical Fasteners. Check the Maintenance section here and in manual. After your service, you'll be pleasantly surprised how well things go, feeling confident knowing it was done with your personal attention to detail. :D

Back