free website stats program Sporty jetting | Harley Davidson Forums

Sporty jetting

2006FXDCI

My friend has a 2005 883 sporster, I drilled the plug out of the idle mixture screw a few months back and got the hiccup to go away. He just got a set of vance & hines short shot pipes and a ness big sucker air cleaner for his birthday along with a keihin jet kit. The jet kit contains a new needle, a 45 and 48 slow jet and a 180, 185, and 190 main jet. Does anyone know what jets to use with his new pipes and air cleaner. Thanks

Thanks for the info Glider, is the Keihin needle in the kit good to use or should I just shim up the stock needle?

I found the best results with shimming the stock needle. If you are using a dyno jet kit, be careful about mixing the DJ parts and the stock parts, they sometimes can cause problems like drivability issues.

The kit is made by Keihin, it should be a Keihin needle. Maybe it has a different taper than the stocker does? I have some #4 washers made out of brass they should work under the stock needle. I've already done the idle mixture on it per the instructions on this site will I have to redo that adjustment after the rejet?

It has a different taper which brings on the fuel a bit lower than the stock. I still like the stockers shimmed and the brass washers will do fine.

Wouldn't hurt to touch up the idle mixture after doing the other work even thou it shouldn't need it again unless you change the low speed jetting.

Thanks for your help Glider, I will be rejetting it next week along with the other mods. I will let you know how everything goes.

I was at an HD dealer today inquiring about my bike and the subject of the needle did come up. the mechanic at HD suggested to shim the needle. But here is the thing, I spoke to a different person, about the same subject today, about the same thing, and he suggested the kit from Kleine. I guess this is a horse a piece. what do have to lose in trying them both if you aren't happy with one of them?

The stock setup with the existing needle with no drilling just works! ...the #4 washers richen the mixture a wee bit faster improving response. Did not "play around" figuring the Glider did not get his nom' de plume out of "thin air"...and of course the carburetion when properly jetted #46 and #185 in there, my lil' hog screams like a greased pig...(me in chorus behind the wind screen).:newsmile075:

Back