free website stats program Sporty issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Sporty issue

jloomis19

Earlier today, was on the bike for a while, parked it for about an hour or 2, then b/c it was still a fairly hot day, just fired the bike up without choking it, fired right up, and when I gave it some throttle heard kind of a popping sound and the bike died. Choked it, and started right back up again, no odd sounds or anything....driving about 1/2 mile, pulled the clutch in for a stop sign and it died on me again. Tried to start it again, thinking maybe still a bit cold or something, and it wouldnt start. Tried the push starting since I was on a hill, nothing. Cranked, but no start. Called my dad since he lived right up the road, had him bring some tools, thinking the plugs may have fouled or got flooded. Plugs clean, we were stumped. So we got the ramps and pushed it up into the bed of his truck and I took it home. Called the local dealer to find out how much a diagnostic would be and he asked what the issue was and I explained it all to him. He had me check behind the petcock, saying there should be a line that is clamped, and right behind should be a vaccum line, and sure enough it was detatched. Im assuming that was the pop I heard before, but I put it back on, and it cranked for a couple seconds and then fired right up, sounded as good as always. Just wanted to share with you all, if anyone every has this same type of issue, check those vaccum lines, lol. Plus I was very suprised with the local dealer seeing that they walked me through that and obviously didnt charge me, so a big kudos to Finks Harley-Davidson here in Zanesville, OH.

lol....We had no clue what else it could be before I called. We were thinking anything from the coil to the cam sensor. Thank god it was just something as simple as reconnecting a vaccum line.

Kinda nice to find out the simple things are the best to check first...and a good through visual inspection is essential and best of all...FREE! Good job finding the problem before calling an EMS...(Emergency Mobile Servicer) LOL...you fit the bill nicely...JL!

I had my tank off a few days ago and when I put it back on I forgot to put the vacuum tube back on.I went out for a run and got about 100 yards down the street and the bike died.I tried to start it for a few minutes then pushed it home.Then I realised my mistake doh!

Wait till you get a fuel injected bike...then all you have is lots of wires...so many wires...wires everywhere...where do they all go? My bike is in pieces right now so I can fix some rocker cover leaks, I hope I remember where all the wires go...

Nhk750...here is where the magic of digital photography really helps. As you know a picture says a thousand words, but even the HD Service Manuals do not detail enough how the lay of the wires and hoses all lay out. I find that and labeling all the connectors and hoses and their mates helps speed up and assure you everything goes together AND no extra parts. I'm an old timer, but still believe in new tech to keep my eyes and brain sharp so the troubleshooting is easier.

I usually put some paper tape on connections and write on the tape where it goes bit it can fade and be un readable when it gets dirty from oily hands or been in bits for a long time then the photos are handy
the correct wiring diagram is also of good use

Brian

wow, that's awesome, it's always great when you find out that what you thought was a problem was actually nothing. congratulations. and THANK YOU for sharing this!!!!!! it's never happened to me, but i will definately make a mental note of it. knowledge is power and you just gave me some. it's cool of you to share your experience. it could possibly save some of us money and inconvenience, THANK YOU :)

Back