sporty clutch

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by Painter61, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Painter61

Painter61 Member

When you have a clutch replaced does the mechanic just change the presure plates or the whole unit. My 06 sporty is going to the garage for a clutch and shoe for the primary chain tesioner and it is olny costing me 360.00 bucks parts and labor to me sounds like a good deal.

2. jterby

jterby Member

Mine just had the whole clutch changed out and cost more than double that. I think you have a fair deal going for parts & labor for just plates, though. They still have to take out the clutch disks and re-assemble, then adjust the clutch. With experienced guy/girl, I hear it shouldn't take too long either. Good luck with it! Mine was a huge improvement over stock parts...so far.

John
    [​IMG]

3. jerryw618

jerryw618 Member

hello there so what parts did you use ? apparently not stock parts ?

4. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

It's not the same bike but a stack of friction disc's are $160 MSRP for my 2009 Dyna. Whatever you install, I would also include a new spring diaphragm. For $30 more (no labor since he has to R&R old one) it is not worth the risk of destroying your new stack. Just my opinion. Others may disagree.

5. supervetteracer

supervetteracer Member

I'm on a 2005. hope my clutch holds up. Wonder how tough of a job it would be to change ti yourself?

6. fisherman124

fisherman124 Active Member

did the whole cluttch on my 80 flt under 200 was not bad to do at all need primary gasket , derby one also

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

You are 100 here no point in doing a half clutch job:s

8. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Maybe old fashioned, but it was common deal in automotive circles to replace the diaphram due to weakened pressure plate action and think of every clutch/shift activity you push and release it over its' life. Why not since your in there already?