free website stats program Sporty carb and manifold question | Harley Davidson Forums

Sporty carb and manifold question

My wife has an 06 custom 1200. She had a big sucker on it and wanted to go back to her stock intake. I have changed this out for her in the past with no problems. This time though, I can't get the carb to stay in place in the manifold when I bolt on the stock air cleaner. It wants to keep pulling away from the manifold and it ends up pulling out. I just want to make sure that I'm correct on this. There isn't a clamp to hold the carb in place, right? If that's the case, then I don't know why the carb is on such an angle that the bottom keeps pulling out. Anyone have any ideas?

My wife has an 06 custom 1200. She had a big sucker on it and wanted to go back to her stock intake. I have changed this out for her in the past with no problems. This time though, I can't get the carb to stay in place in the manifold when I bolt on the stock air cleaner. It wants to keep pulling away from the manifold and it ends up pulling out. I just want to make sure that I'm correct on this. There isn't a clamp to hold the carb in place, right? If that's the case, then I don't know why the carb is on such an angle that the bottom keeps pulling out. Anyone have any ideas?

Are you replacing the manifold and the carb or just the carb and air cleaner? Do you have the intake aligned with new gaskets? How is the carb to manifold rubber?

There is no clamp to hold the carb on to the manifold it may be that the seal at the manifold has been damaged or is not seated correctly pushing the carb off
The carb is held in place by the air cleaner housing being bolted to the head by the breather bolts

Brian

Just like fin said,,,

That Rubber formed gasket, that is grooved to cover into/onto the manifold may need a little carb-spray cleaning and NO lube.. I have the same set-up on my 06 sport 1200 R... and on my sold 2000 FXDS dyna.

I can assure you I had the same problem once on my FXDS, such a tight fit to put on a 42 mikuni between the cylinder heads. It was hard to keep the new carb into the rubber, and the rubber onto the throat of the carb and onto the manifold.... but once there in place and DRY, no lube, it stayed...

signed....BUBBIE

Back