free website stats program Sportster vibration. | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster vibration.

Jeff Klarich

Experienced Member
Contributor
My younger brother has a 87 sportster and he keeps going through headlights due to the vibration.
The light is rubber mounted but still vibrates and breaks the filament in the sealed beam.
My question is has anybody else experienced this and is there a better fix to help stop the excessive sporty vibration?

Thanks.

87 sportster would be an early evo engine sportster but no cv carb
Vibration is a problem I cant make out what is behind me in the mirrors just that there is something there on my sportster
If it is vibration causing the filament to break ensure that the ignition timing is correct and that any advance and retard is working correctly and that all engine mount bolts are tight but also check the charging system is not producing too much voltage as over voltage can also case filaments to break
The charging system is if I am correct the rotor is within the clutch basket and the stator sits behind the clutch basket so more expensive to replace than others

Brian

I also had a '87, and never lost a h.l. bulb in the 10 yrs. I had it. It was uncomfortable to ride for long at or above 60. Like Fin said, a loose m.m. bolt will increase vibrations. Also, if it was run with loose m.m. bolts, the holes could be egg shaped and still cause vibration. Clutch basket/alternator is big $$ to repl.

Back