Sportster Transmission And Primary Lubricant

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Goshawk, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Goshawk

Goshawk Member

Since the same lubricant for the transmission and primary is used in Sportsters do you think
    H-D Formula+ Transmission and Primary Chaincase Lubricant is the best thing to use? Since
    H-D does not list viscosity requirements I do not know that I would want to try anything else.

2. Electraglidin'

Electraglidin' Member

I'd stick with Formula+ as it's what H-D recommends, it works well, and the price isn't bad.

My kid rides an '07 883 Custom and when the dealer serviced it at the 1000 mile checkup they put Formula+ in it. I just did an oil change on it a few days ago and I used Formula+ as well. Clutch engagement and shifting all seem to be excellent with this oil, so that's what we'll stick with.

I would strongly recommend changing the primary/tranny oil with every oil change (or at 5k miles) since it's not filtered and the tranny has a tendency to shear down oil.
    It only takes 1 qt., so the cost is minimal... :s

(BTW- I've tried various oils in the primaries of our two Twin Cams and have settled on F+ as it provides the best clutch feel in both. It's pretty good stuff for the primary!)

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

I also like the Formula1 in the primary of the big twins, priced right and it works as well or better than a few others i have tried. I even tried the older primary oil they had and it didn't seem to work as well, but then again the viscosity was thinner too in the older primary oil.