free website stats program Sportster to a Softail | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster to a Softail

Ishmael, I'm glad you posted this info for him. I also have two similar bikes, and my opinion is the same. Some of my friends have the big bike and also the little bike and enjoy the change of pace.

There's also the element of practicality. Sometimes the bigger bike is difficult to navigate or park. Madison is famous for lousy street maintenance, numerous one-ways, scant parking and mercenary meter maids. I find it's just easier to take the smaller bike for these short hops.

Additionally, when the price of gasoline spiked last season, it seemed wasteful and selfish to use +16 dollars of fuel to just go joyriding. On the little Sportster I could take four bucks, clear my head and return home refreshed--and guilt free.

I didn't need a big touring bike to drive only 12 miles to share coffee meeting folks at the dealership.

I ride a ST Night Train very similar to the Deuce , the ST'S have more rake so they don't turn as sharp as the sporty's but I have no trouble riding , cornering , or turning in 180 degrees . They or at least mine sits nice and low being stock , one of the lowest seat heights and I think you'll really like it . If the Deuce was still made in 09 I'd have bought it , but I wanted to stay away from all the crome . Keep in mind my prior bike was a sportster but it was 33 yrs later that I got the ST . Trust me you can't go wrong .

I love the deuce, everyone talked about how it would ride etc, I have to say that once you learn the bike, you will love it. It will be different from the sporty I'm sure, because it is different from my road king. But the deuce is like a sports car in comparison to the king. I like the deuce but it was time for me to move on up. :s

BTW, I still have a deuce for sale. :D

I love the deuce, everyone talked about how it would ride etc, I have to say that once you learn the bike, you will love it. It will be different from the sporty I'm sure, because it is different from my road king. But the deuce is like a sports car in comparison to the king. I like the deuce but it was time for me to move on up. :s

BTW, I still have a deuce for sale. :D

HINT HINT :s

I've ridden a sportster for 15 plus years a 1995 883 and now a 2010 1200 custom. I'm considering stepping up to a softail duece. I've never ridden a big twin. How much if any harder will it be to ride? Pros and cons. Any opinions welcome.

Check out the Deuce that Joy is selling, I don't think you will find one in better condition or maintained better either.

2005 Softail Deuce - Harley Davidson Community

She's "Mrs Goodwrench" :D

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with me. Hate the thought of giving up my Sportster. But I'm ready to move up to a different ride. Also my girlfriend is a little cramped on the back of the Sportster. Thanks again!

Not so much of a deal breaker more of a pocketbook breaker. That's why I wanted the advice of all of you. I'm getting old I guess and looking for a more comfortable ride on the long runs. Always wanted to go to Sturgis at least once but riding that far on a Sporty was a little more than my backside could handle...I think!!

Not so much of a deal breaker more of a pocketbook breaker.

The reason I bring this up involves two things I find when someone in my area sells a Sportster for the sole reason of just getting a big bike--any big bike, not just the one you'd like.

They make the trade or sell off the Sportster themselves. Lately that's not much. Then they get the big bike, and a funny thing happens. While they envision longer rides, they are creatures of habit. They don't take the bigger bike out for short hops with friends or to the gym ("someone might vandalize it while I cannot check on it!") or to the grocery store. And those longer weekend trips remain pretty much the same in duration.

Second, if they do take that bigger trip (especially if they are married) it becomes the one big trip of the summer, usually on a vacation. Lots of couples like to take trips on a bike, quite a few want to share time as a couple. That means to a fancy hotel, or Disney world, or just with the kids. Most times that's no bike, at all.

Due to these reasons and actual numbers from my shop from service writers, transition to a bigger bike mean fewer overall miles. A few years back they reported that most big bikes got ridden 3K to 4K per year. In this singular year that average has dropped to about 1K. They add that any CVO models hardly gets driven at all, and simply wears out from being polished too much.

I have found that in bike hobbyist forums that mileage number is bigger. These guys are passionate about motorcycles, so they ride. But the pressures still exist, and the overall mileage drops. I went the other way. I had a big bike, and bought a smaller one. My mileage darn near doubled. With an easy alternative, I found reasons to ride.

Back