free website stats program Sportster to a Softail | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster to a Softail

CoreyV

I've ridden a sportster for 15 plus years a 1995 883 and now a 2010 1200 custom. I'm considering stepping up to a softail duece. I've never ridden a big twin. How much if any harder will it be to ride? Pros and cons. Any opinions welcome.

I've ridden a sportster for 15 plus years a 1995 883 and now a 2010 1200 custom. I'm considering stepping up to a softail duece. I've never ridden a big twin. How much if any harder will it be to ride? Pros and cons. Any opinions welcome.

Your going from a Mustang GT to a Chevy Impala. The Softail has a laid back ride and due to the geometry will not have the quick steering that the Sporster has. If you want a fast quick steering Harley stay with the Sporster, if on the other hand your looking for some great cruising miles the Softail is a good choice.

Corey,

It all depends on your riding style and what you do. You might find the ST actually easier to ride or more challenging.

Depends on riding style and length. I have a 1976 KZ900 Z1 that I'll ride around town once a month for fun (3-4 hours tops) but for the majority of my riding is on the softail (1998 Heritage classic). Done a few rides from VA to OH in a day on the softail (10 hours). No problems (other than a little friction burn from blue jeans. Not really burns but discomfort on my thighs). Would not want to do that ride on a sportster. Just my 2 cents.

JBC I had a '75Z1B. In 1978 I rode her from Orlando, Fl to Mexico City and back.

If motorcycles truly represent freedom, then you must have the freedom to drive/ride whatever makes you happy.

I agree with most of the posts here. The bigger bikes are for cruising, and there's a value in getting on the highway, piling on the miles and burning off some of the world's stresses.

Most of my miles over the past two years have been on a Sportster. My riding and my desire to ride has shifted. But for me "simpler" is the order of the day. More comfortable clothes, better boots, new gym routines and riding alone to where and when I choose.

There will always be trends, trend-setters and crazes. My advice, don't get caught up in any of it. If a pink CB350 makes you happy, then riding anything else is an abject waste of time.

The only hard part is going to be parking (stop riding) the Deuce. Other than that the adjustment to the bigger bike should not be a problem.

I love my softail classic. My bud has an 04 SE Deuce. We traded for a few miles last ride together. Deuce actually felt like a smaller, quicker ride with the skinny front tire. Of course it had the SE factory build with the SE103, so it really was quicker. It was very comfortable and still had the sporty feel to it. I think you will find it is a very easy and comfortable transition to make.

Here's my prediction: the softtail will not be harder to ride but will be different in that it will have a heavier feel. You'll love the floorboards after riding pegs. The sporty has a more nimble feel than the softtail will have but the softy is a cruiser and rides great on the longer runs. Plenty of power to be had in either bike, even in the stock form. I have an 883 and an 88 ci Fatboy. Both are fun to ride and the above were my perceptions after having ridden them. YMMV. Enjoy.
Ishmael
PS If you do much 2 up riding I think you'll like the softtail.

Back