free website stats program Sportster Starting Problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster Starting Problem

I will have a look when I go round there tomorrow, I will get a photo if a can of any marks/names and post it here,
What is the nose cone ??? is that the side plate on the side of the engine that covers this unit with flashing light ??
If it is then my mate had it running today and the plate was off and it would not start when hot, but as I said before it only had 6 volts at the coil when it would not start,
:34:

The nose cone is the plate below the carb on carbed models or directly below the air filter.

Some of the after market ignition modules and pickups had a problem with grounding out when the engine was hot on the cover.

Hi, Quick update on the Sportster, the pickup unit has 32465/9800303 on it, we are not sure if it is a standard Harley part or not, any ideas ??

Bucket.

I read all the posts.

I have a silly question.

Why has no one suggested changing plug wire or did I miss it:bigsmiley21:

Hi Dangerdan, we have tried changing the plug leads and it still had no spark, we think it is a problem with the pickup unit behind the nose cone, as it only plays up when hot but we are not sure, if my mate puts it in to a shop it will cost about £50 ($100) an hour !! my mate is in the States at the moment so he is going to get a new pickup & ignition module while he is there, hope that fix's it !!!
Thanks for the reply,
Bucket.

Back