free website stats program Sportster Rear Suspension Adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster Rear Suspension Adjustment

cedarbrook63

Just wondering: is there a tool most of us would have in the box or a means of adjusting the preload on the rear suspension for the Sportster that avoids buying the HD tool? I haven't adjusted it yet but will be loading it up with gear and pillion in a few weeks and I'll need to!
Thanks for any suggestions :D.

I would just dig about in the bottom of my old tool box till i found an appropriate sized c spanner
ive got a few of different sizes some came from my dad others gatherd over the years
having replaced shocks on bikes in the past koni tri rates came with their own c spanner so the one from bike tool kit went in the tool box

Brian

Here is the shock tool adjuster - spanner. HD dealer carries one in stock that is made for both HD OEM and Progressive Shocks. Part Number: 94448-82B around $10 USD.

94448_82A.jpg

http://www.hdtimeline.com/chassis_suspension_and_front_end/29134-shock_adjustment_tools.html

Last edited:
Alarge pair of channel locks with a rag to protect the shocks works in a jiffy. i wouldn't do it all the time

Doh! Channel Locks have serated jaws...Score card: Adjusted Shocks: $10 spanner verses scarred chrome or black finished shock: $300 (for new pair of Progressive Shocks)...be careful out there...:bigsmiley30:

Doh! Channel Locks have serated jaws...Score card: Adjusted Shocks: $10 spanner verses scarred chrome or black finished shock: $300 (for new pair of Progressive Shocks)...be careful out there...:bigsmiley30:

Use the proper tool as NewHD said, anyone can do it wrong and ruin a good pair of shocks:s

The timing of this post couldn't have been more appropriate. I happenned to consider my options.

I decided a quick visit to the dealer was in order.

Picked up the tool for $14.95 plus tax. Canadian pricing is another thread altogether but, for less than $20 bucks, I'm good to go.

And me and the passengers are much happier now too!

Back