free website stats program Sportster Primary & Head Coating Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster Primary & Head Coating Removal

cubalz

I just purchased a 1991 Sportster 1200 for a project and it is in great condition except that the primary cover and heads have that crackled look to them and I wanted to polish them. I am assuming that these were clear coated at the factory and that is what looks bad.

Does anyone know how I can remove the top coat so I can polish them out with some Mothers? I would prefer to do this while they are still on the engine if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

i had the same thing on my 93 sportster found that the best way to remove the laquer was to use paint stripper
gust brush it on leave for a wee while and a light scrape with a plastic scraper and it all comes off
then you can polish with whatever you want to polish with
be carefull if doing it on the bike as paint stripper on the wrong place can do a lot of damage to your paintwork
i prefer to get the parts off the bike strip the laquer off then polish with bench polisher then finish off with autosol gets a reall nice shine once back on the bike need regular polishing to keep them loking good
i use autosol and a tooth brush to get into all the tight spaces etc

Brian

The little trouble it takes to remove the head and primary covers is much less effort than stripping them and polishing them in situ, it's also safer.
Remember that it's advisable to replace the gaskets when reassembling.
Remember that some stripper has a nasty effect on rubber and some plastic.

Thanks everyone. I will pull the engine to make it easier to get the heads off, Maybe I will get the frame repowercoated while it is out!

Back