free website stats program Sportster manly? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster manly?

I like my sportster i have done long trips on it i dont see a problem with it and it is a wee bit quicker through twisty sections of road than either of my big twins
although i do not ride it as often as my softail i am keeping it as it is a great bike large tank gives it a 160 mile range
as it is a solid mount it does vibrate a wee bit
for ultimate comfort a smooth ride and a 700 mile range i have a car but i use it for work not for fun

Brian

:newsmile011:I have a 09, 1200 Low, I don't understand all the talk about not a good bike to go on long rides. I have gone on several long rides and have not experienced the issues of some of the replys that I am seeing. I am 64 years old and ride it almost every day to work, about 70 miles round trip and every chance I get on the weekends. I love the bike, handles great and runs great. I like my bikes to be "bikes" some of these touring bikes are like riding a two wheeled car, not my idea of a bike.:rider

I agree, I just did an iron butt ride a few weeks ago (1100 miles in 22 hours) on my 08 1200 low and it wasn't bad at all. You just have to set it up right, I put a windshield, sundowner seat, engine guard with highway pegs on it and I feel it's quite the touring bike.
When I'm not touring I remove the windshield and switch the seat back and it is the fast, fun bike it was designed to be.

I too own a Sporty.. 2010 48 , with mini apes, bobber seat and screaming eagle pipes... all blacked out too... My first bike, starter bike, and it rips... I have friends who race Italian bikes and they can not believe the (EDIT) the 48 has... air filter and TFI unit will be installed soon... I like how fast it is, how nimble it is and how (EDIT) it looks.. To each their own..

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
One day... I'd like to have a Sportster in addition to my FXSTC. Not a beautiful one, but one I could mold into a screamer, you know, something evil, wicked, mean and nasty, then beautiful. A project bike. Then, I could pick the bike for the mood I'm in that day.

Yeah, that's the ticket!

THIS Is Exactly what I have to watch out for when on My Manly 1200 R model.. Girly Bike:laugh

signed....BUBBIE

They are a nice looking bike, just not for me. Too small for my needs, nor is it a girly bike. I personally dont think about who rides what, I've seen females on bikes larger than my fatboy. It's each his own as I've seen some nice sportster's. Ride what you want and dont care about what the other people think.

Threads like this are part of the reason that I decided against a Sportster. Seems like a lot of Sportster owners (on line and in person) spend a lot of time arguing that the Sporty is not a "girl's bike" or a "budget ride".

So you ruled out buying a Sportster based on what people said about it rather than test riding one yourself?

Seems kind of silly.....

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Threads like this are part of the reason that I decided against a Sportster. Seems like a lot of Sportster owners (on line and in person) spend a lot of time arguing that the Sporty is not a "girl's bike" or a "budget ride".

Many sportster owners upgrade soon after buying their first sportster. Basically that's why the dealers were running the campaign to buy a sportster and after a year get full value back on it in trade for a big twin.
Also being the sportys cost is about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a big twin, it's rather difficult to argue that it isn't a budget ride. JMHO.

Back