free website stats program Sportster manly? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster manly?

I love my road king for all around riding that I do now. But I REALLY miss my Sportster for when i'm feeling young and want to go too fast into some curves.

One of the students in class at Wyotech wants to make Sportsters into 'Mini Baggers' or 'Baby Baggers'. You can get brackets to put full size dresser saddlebags on them and mini 'Batwing' fairings.

Hah...funny how a 1200cc motorcycle can instill such love and hatred from within and without the H-D ranks. Had a Harley rider wreck his bike and saw me riding the Sportster and made the comment about a "--girls bike"? Well funny how I'm riding my bike and his "manly bike is a pile in the garage"...it was a springer and he had a 5mph drop...insurance company TOTALED IT. Wouldn't want to have a "dainty bike" like that...(joking). Honestly, an 800cc or greater displacement bike can be a handful no matter what age, gender or experience level. How you manage and use your "tool" separates the "real" riders from the "pretenders or sideliners"...JMO.

Was just at the local H-D dealer and saw a "girls' bike"...how do I know? 'cause I saw her ride up in it and I was admiring the bike....a heavily modified Street Glide looking more like an Ultra with custom H-D paint job (it was numbered 265 out of 10,000 or something), matching bags and top box, brimming with alloy billet and carbon fiber trim. She was shipping out for a deployment to Afghanistan, so she had to sell it at a heavy discount...wish I had collected enough "male jewels" to buy it, so I guess I won't trade up from my Sportster...LOL! :s

Some riders don't know that there is a lot of tradition behind the Sportster, in the early days it was a "monster" on the dirt track all over the U.S., going head to head with British twins and others, rough around the edges, a little top heavy for more ground clearance are characteristic of this old beast...but it works with aing a nice balance of 600 lbs weight, fully gassed and almost 1200cc's worth of torque and power. and me at 130 lbs am quite happy.:laugh

Manliness is a quality of men not motorcycles. I respect each man or not as an individual. Personally, I like a sportster. It is like any machine- it has a defined purpose. I am older now and my bike of choice is a Tri-Glide- I don't "need" a trike, but I like a trike. My wife is more relaxed on 3 wheels also. Thus, the right toll for the job. No more,no less. Ride On! :D

One day... I'd like to have a Sportster in addition to my FXSTC. Not a beautiful one, but one I could mold into a screamer, you know, something evil, wicked, mean and nasty, then beautiful. A project bike. Then, I could pick the bike for the mood I'm in that day.

Yeah, that's the ticket!

:newsmile011:I have a 09, 1200 Low, I don't understand all the talk about not a good bike to go on long rides. I have gone on several long rides and have not experienced the issues of some of the replys that I am seeing. I am 64 years old and ride it almost every day to work, about 70 miles round trip and every chance I get on the weekends. I love the bike, handles great and runs great. I like my bikes to be "bikes" some of these touring bikes are like riding a two wheeled car, not my idea of a bike.:rider

Why would I care what anyone else is riding?
Wouldn't it be easier to accept other's riding preferences and try to appreciate them for what they are, which is specifically, not yours?
You might actually make a friend.

On second thought, if I start to care what anyone else is riding, feel free to take me aside and slap me.
I will ride with anyone; Harleys, japanese bikes, BMWs, Triumphs, scooters, really fast bicycles. Two wheels is two wheels. We all love the wind in our face.
Life is just way to short folks.

I would say the only HD that are Manly are the Sportster and Vrod. Any one can ride on a RK, WG and other cruisers but it thats a REAL man to ride a Sporty on long cruises... :laugh:laugh

here is my girlie sportster...
48-17.jpg

48-18.jpg

48-19.jpg

48-20.jpg

Back