free website stats program Sportster maintenance | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster maintenance

The previous owner rode a lot, and probably did his own maintenance. The reason I say he probably did his own maintenance is the little bit of a speckle pattern on the black engine paint which was obviously caused by some kind of extremely abbrasive cleaners. The engine runs solid, and there is not a scratch on the bike. Anything else can be fixed/replaced in the garage fairly easy. I turned wrenches on cars for a number of years. Hopefully that knowledge transfers. I bought the service manual (thanks again Bubbie). The only thing I'm a little iffy on in the manual is that it says to replace the swingarm bearnings every 30,000 miles. Is that really necessary, or a little excessive?

Thanks a lot guys,

Jim

Good link BUBBIE! downloaded the electrical troubleshooting manual from them for 9.95, they accept paypal. It looks like the pdf is official HD digital tech, and the hyperlinks work. Thanks for posting the link.:small3d028:

The previous owner rode a lot, and probably did his own maintenance. The reason I say he probably did his own maintenance is the little bit of a speckle pattern on the black engine paint which was obviously caused by some kind of extremely abbrasive cleaners. The engine runs solid, and there is not a scratch on the bike. Anything else can be fixed/replaced in the garage fairly easy. I turned wrenches on cars for a number of years. Hopefully that knowledge transfers. I bought the service manual (thanks again Bubbie). The only thing I'm a little iffy on in the manual is that it says to replace the swingarm bearnings every 30,000 miles. Is that really necessary, or a little excessive?

Thanks a lot guys,

Jim

Man, I've gotten 40,000 on my 06 1200 sport and haven't found them to be a problem... I'd better give it a better Look...

The Black on Any black motor CAN be made to look New again by a spray ... hog spit OR s-100,.... spray it on and it does its thing..

It does a Great job

signed....BUBBIE

What else is there in life? :lolrolling

Live to ride, ride to eat! :D

Well up until 11 years ago I used to ride to drink, which is why I always park in nuetral, found the starter bucking me forward was an embarassing distraction.
webb

Back