free website stats program Sportster maintenance | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster maintenance

av8rjim84

I just recently got my Harley Sportster. She is a 2007 XL1200 Custom, and is a beauty. I love this little bike, but one problem I seem to have is a complete lack of knowledge of maintenance, and she didn't come with the owners manual. The big ones are the following

What fuel rating is required. (87, 89, 91)
What oil weight is best to use.
What tire pressure for front and rear tires (stock)
How often should the grease points be greased
Is there any maintenance required of the struts
How often should I change the fluids, spark plugs, air filter, etc.
and anything else I may not know enough to ask.

I know this is asking a lot of you guys, but I really want this bike to last for quite a while, and I know I will mess up somewhere if I don't ask.

Thanks guys

Jim

I just recently got my Harley Sportster. She is a 2007 XL1200 Custom, and is a beauty. I love this little bike, but one problem I seem to have is a complete lack of knowledge of maintenance, and she didn't come with the owners manual. The big ones are the following

What fuel rating is required. (87, 89, 91)
What oil weight is best to use.
What tire pressure for front and rear tires (stock)
How often should the grease points be greased
Is there any maintenance required of the struts
How often should I change the fluids, spark plugs, air filter, etc.

I know this is asking a lot of you guys, but I really want this bike to last for quite a while, and I know I will mess up somewhere if I don't ask.

Thanks guys

Jim
Welcome to The Forum and your first post. The best advice I can give you is get and read your owners manual, all the info you seek is in there. You can also use the search box with key phrases for the info you want. dont have an owners manual check E bay or your local dealer, may also invest in a Factory service manual:s

I used some of your questions to answer along with.....

What fuel rating is required. ( 91)

What oil weight is best to use. (20/50 synthetic Mobil 1 v twin,easy to get)

What tire pressure for front and rear tires (stock) (30 front and 36/40 rear)

How often should the grease points be greased (get that in the book)

Is there any maintenance required of the struts (check for looseness)

How often should I change the fluids.. Engine at 3 thousand to 4 thous.along with oil filter MAKE SURE it is one for the Sport..., a TC oil filter will ruin the sport engine... MAKE SURE when you buy at HD

TYRANNY/PRIMARY**** one oil for the BOTH in One compartment, for simplicity and a good oil, I'd use Formal+ from HD on this and change when doing the engine oil and filter.... aprox 40 oz.

spark plugs, I do mine when needed but usually at 10 to 15 thousand,, Sooner IF you want and USE the Cheap HD ones 6R12,, Under 5$ each.. DON'T get fancy the stock ones do the best..

air filter ,, depends on what you have Stock dry.. 10,000 and check at each oil change and tap or Blow out from the inside.. (not recommended but i do it that way) IF a SE , I Wash it in the laundry tray and lightly spray a little oil on the out side VERY LITTLE

LOOK IN THE SELF HELP AREA of this forum,,,Upper right "search box"and type in KEY WORDS and you will see MANY post and answers ,,, Hmmm some Might even be from mie.... WELCOME NEW-BEE

I know this is asking a lot of you guys,

YES but I know how you feel

but I really want this bike to last for quite a while, and I know I will mess up somewhere if I don't ask.

Thanks guys ****** thank BUBBIE

Jim
Jim,, Not perfect BUT something to get you started..

Don't loosen OR tighten head bolts or any others Once they are torqued as they should be when you got this bike Don't monkey... Finger checks cold are ok....

About the only Nuts I had to RE-tighten are the exhaust flange nuts... And that was because of the Changed exhaust...

Good Old "Glider" our Big Guy,,, Posted this a while back,,, I'm sure he had the New Bees in mind.. as you need 150 post?? to down load some of our materials...and find it MIGHT be good for you to get the book you need and on your computer...

I think it is under 10$ wow that is cheap

I think it a safe place or we'll have to Tan His Hide..

Harley Davidson Service Manuals PDF Download

Good riding..
signed....BUBBIE

Thanks a lot Bubbie. I appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me. Also, thanks for the link, I will be getting that manual as soon as possible.

Jim

What fuel rating is required. (87, 89, 91) 91
What oil weight is best to use. 20W-50 100% Synthetic
What tire pressure for front and rear tires (stock) Check Front Decal on Frame
How often should the grease points be greased Check typically at 5,000 miles
Is there any maintenance required of the struts Adjust to highest preload 2-UP
How often should I change the fluids, spark plugs, air filter, etc. 5K, 10K, 15K

Thanks guys

Jim

Initial Guidelines in Red...manuals on CD are available for about $9 USD, though the H-D Service manual at $60 is still going to be the best deal as you will save that the first time you do your own service.

BUBBIE beat me to the punch, but go to the Self Help section for details on how to do all of the above...and the Search tab will help you find related threads just by typing in a couple key words on the subject of interest.

Welcome to the world of Harley Davidson as all your initial questions have been answered by the knowledgeable members who are there helping all
When other questions come up in your head do not be afraid to ask as 99% of the time one of our members will have the answer

Brian

av8rjim84; welcome to the forum & looks like you're off to a good start. Enjoy that sporty - great bike & have fun wrenching.

If there are any dealer decals to be seen you can call them with the VIN. Seems without a manual the POwner either paid the Stealer or didn't maintain the bike and since you thought it was a great riding bike I'm betting He/she paid for the upkeep.

Back