free website stats program sportster frame ? for you sportsters out there | Harley Davidson Forums

sportster frame ? for you sportsters out there

06rdking

Banned
I am new to the sportster world and am looking for a sportster for my wife. she has been riding a honda shadow and wants to go to a harley sportster. my ? is whats the difference in the frames from 2003 and 2004. is there a noticeable difference? and if so would it put you to buying only 04 and newer? thanks to all

I am new to the sportster world and am looking for a sportster for my wife. she has been riding a honda shadow and wants to go to a harley sportster. my ? is whats the difference in the frames from 2003 and 2004. is there a noticeable difference? and if so would it put you to buying only 04 and newer? thanks to all

Difference in the 2003 & 2004 is not the frame, but just about everything else that is important. The key is the rubber mounted engine, redesigned exhaust system (crossover is hidden out of sight)...look here for additional changes...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/general_tips/13448-sportster_time_line.html

Main frame difference between 2003 and later models is that as the engine is solid mounted on the 2003 and earlier models then the engine became part of the structural stability of the frame as a large immovable element fixed to front bottom and top of frame helping prevent frame flex
to overcome frame flex when rubber mounting the engine the frame tubes were increased in size with an overall heavier frame and bike
having only ever ridden solid mount sportster i can not comment on whether the beef up of the rubber mount frame adequately compensated for the loss of the engine as a stress member

Brian

thanks guys. I have been helping the wife try to figure out what bike to upgrade to. she has been riding a honda shadow vlx600 and has decided to go to a harley. she has tried to handle about all dynas and a softail or 2 but seems the most comfortable on a 883c so we came across what we think is a pretty good deal. its a 2005 883c 13,000 miles pretty much stock with a few chrome pretties and vance & hines pipes 1 owner a 67 yr old man moved on to a trike so we snagged it for $3300.00 hope she gets along with it. thanks for all your imput.

She will enjoy her 2005 XL883C, it has the smooth lines and chrome of the most modern Sportsters of the day...spoke wheel up front for "classic" look, cast wheel for low maintenance and strength out back. Plus quiet, clean belt drive, electronic ignition, and simple carb fueling. It is the best without the added complications associated with EFI...not bad just simpler...JMO

Back