free website stats program Sportster Clutch Problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster Clutch Problems

balduc-2

Approx. 4,000 miles ago I replaced my Sportster XL1200C (@59,000miles) slipping clutch with Barnett's Extra Plate kit. The kit had worked fine originally after install, but the other day the clutch/drivetrain completely went out. The bike will not take off from a dead stop.

Can I rule out that this is not the clutch plates and another issue?
Could this be the clutch hub assembly and spring plate have gone bad?

Hopefully, I can pin-point what the problem is with my clutch/drivetrain from replys.

If it doesn't make any noise when shifting into gear I would look at your front drive pulley behind the rear master cylinder. They have been known to wear out the splines.
tourbox

HD05XL017.gif
Have a look at # 16 and the locking plate as Tourbox suggested

I will check the locking plate per Tourbox suggestion. Tourbox: little to no noise when shifting into gear. Is there any other wear parts that I should focus on (narrow my search) too get me back up and running?

Not really. After verifying the the pulley & locking plate are OK the next step is the clutch itself or adjustment. With very little noise when putting in gear I wouldn't think it to be adjustment or excessive wear. If the center adj. screw is to tight it cause the clutch to be disengaged all the time causing the slip.
tourbox

tourbox- I removed the front pulley cover to check the condition of the locking plate and pulley. All components appear to be tight. I did not remove the front pulley nut or remove the tension of the belt. Prior to my problem the clutched seemed to engage/disengage function properly. Question: I noticed my clutch hub have some play to it. I took a video with my camera, not exactly sure how to post.

There is a stepped ring between the diaphragm & pressure plate. It is held in place by a retaining ring(snap ring). If the stepped ring came loose you will loose clutch operation. The stepped ring has a particular direction in which it has to go. I can't remember which way though. Itf it came loose I think you can see it floating around after the outer primary is removed. Can't seem to remember that either,OLD age ain't for sissies.
That ring came out on a friends XL and I had to go get him with a trailer.
tourbox

The snap ring retaining the spring plate was not loose. I was referring to the outer clutch basket assembly that is attached to the starter sprocket. That part has minor wiggle room, but I kind of think that is normal. Is this correct?

I removed the retaining ring, spring plate, and clutch pack for inspection. Without any thing to compare to I would say steel and friction plates look fine. The only thing I could not get out or my patience gave up on me is the little steel ring from Barnett’s clutch kit.

I should have tried to adjusting the clutch before disassembly, but will leave it open as I opted to order a heavy duty spring plate.

Does anyone have Barnett’s extra plate instructions that they could post?

The snap ring retaining the spring plate was not loose. I was referring to the outer clutch basket assembly that is attached to the starter sprocket. That part has minor wiggle room, but I kind of think that is normal. Is this correct?

I removed the retaining ring, spring plate, and clutch pack for inspection. Without any thing to compare to I would say steel and friction plates look fine. The only thing I could not get out or my patience gave up on me is the little steel ring from Barnett’s clutch kit.

I should have tried to adjusting the clutch before disassembly, but will leave it open as I opted to order a heavy duty spring plate.

Does anyone have Barnett’s extra plate instructions that they could post?
http://www.barnettclutches.com/media/service_center/607-30-10091.pdf If not this contact them via e mail

Back