free website stats program Sportster blown fuse P0373 & U1016 faults | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster blown fuse P0373 & U1016 faults

TeddyEdward

Hi

I have a recurring problem with a 2004 (carb model) XL1200 Sportster. Basically the 15A fuse that on the speedo/turn signal/starter motor circuit blows a few miles from home. Engine runs fine with blown fuse but obviously I can't re-start the engine if I switch it off.

I've read a lot of forums that say it's likely to be a short but I've had a good look and can't see any sources for a short (but doesn't mean I've missed it of course). Ive replaced the gearbox/speedo sensor but made no difference - still blowing fuses.

I've got 2 fault codes on the speedo P0373 crank sensor position & U1016 loss of ECM data etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction - are the codes and the blown fuses related in any way or just coincidence/red herring (as we say in the UK)?

I've just had an aftermarket ignition module fitted but am struggling to believe it's related to the problem as a fuse blew (once) before the module was fitted and the bike runs fine (as long as the fuse doesn't blow).

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Hi

I have a recurring problem with a 2004 (carb model) XL1200 Sportster. Basically the 15A fuse that on the speedo/turn signal/starter motor circuit blows a few miles from home. Engine runs fine with blown fuse but obviously I can't re-start the engine if I switch it off.

I've read a lot of forums that say it's likely to be a short but I've had a good look and can't see any sources for a short (but doesn't mean I've missed it of course). Ive replaced the gearbox/speedo sensor but made no difference - still blowing fuses.

I've got 2 fault codes on the speedo P0373 crank sensor position & U1016 loss of ECM data etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction - are the codes and the blown fuses related in any way or just coincidence/red herring (as we say in the UK)?

I've just had an aftermarket ignition module fitted but am struggling to believe it's related to the problem as a fuse blew (once) before the module was fitted and the bike runs fine (as long as the fuse doesn't blow).

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Any chance that when the fuse blows a few miles from home you have just made a turn using your turn signals for the first time?

Using turn signals for the first time is a possability I guess? I would have to take her out for a spin and try to recreate the problem using the turn signals to know for sure.

thanks

Joy sure knows how to put the pressure on a guy!..:)

Only schematics I have for a carb XL are year 2003. Those show you only having 4 fuses in the entire bike. Would that be the case for your 2004? What is the name of the fuse that is blowing. The "lighting" fuse does supply power for the start relay. Have you checked under your rear fender for the tail light wiring harness rubbing or shorting?

I don't think the codes are related.

2004 Sporty has 6 circuit fuses plus 1 main fuse. Just for the record I've disconnected the turns signals from the loom - still blows fuses.

Hoople the 2004 was the first year of the rubber mount on the sportster so almost completely different bike from the earlier ones so your schematic may be way off

Brian

Recheck the wires in the harness between where you disconnected the lights and the fuse panel. You have to have a wire rubbed through causing the problem.

Joy sure knows how to put the pressure on a guy!..:)

Only schematics I have for a carb XL are year 2003. Those show you only having 4 fuses in the entire bike. Would that be the case for your 2004? What is the name of the fuse that is blowing. The "lighting" fuse does supply power for the start relay. Have you checked under your rear fender for the tail light wiring harness rubbing or shorting?

I don't think the codes are related.
Hoop, you didn't earn that avatar for nothing. :s Besides, with over 40,000 members, I knew you had backup. :s

Where do you think the problem could be Joy, you have had enough experience to offer some suggestions.:D

Back