free website stats program sportster 2 up? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

sportster 2 up?

I had an 883 and a 1200 Sporty and I found them both uncomfortable two-up. I'm only 5'8" (150lbs) and my wife is 5'2" (110lbs) and we really struggled going longer distances. Take the Dyna.

I own a sporty AND have hauled another and ridden the back of it. I have to say as the driver with a passenger on the back, I found the bike handled ok but felt heavy and made a rough ride. I also felt like my rider might fall off if they weren't hanging on tight when we hit bumps and on take offs. As the passenger, it was a REALLY rough ride. The extra weight made for some hard bumpy riding and without a backrest I felt I was going to fall of fairly regular. I just don't feel it is the best two up either way.

my 2 cents.

just to add my two cents, a buddy of mine has a 1200 with a sissy bar and homemade floorboard's for his wife. they ride everywhere together we even road to Nebraska this year, it was around 650 miles, she didn't complain much at all, we would stop every 100 miles for fuel and such, but like I said, no real complaints, maybe she just has so much extra padding, he is about 5'8" and 175lbs, she is around 5'2" and probably 155lbs, the bike still has lots of power with both of them, but I think a more of a cruising bike is best for two up.

The market is flooded with a lot of nice used machines right now so, I'm sure you can find a nice Dyna at a great price. Since this is your first bike, I'd go solo for a while and learn how the bike handles before going with a passenger. (But buy the bike with sissy bar, foot pegs, and two up seat etc.)

You're looking at used so, I'm assuming there is a budget you have in mind. So, there are other things to consider besides the expense of the bike itself. Is a Dyna too much? That really is a personal choice and you'll get plenty of opinions on both sides for that. Do you have any experience with riding at all? Dirt bikes many moons ago etc, using a clutch, shifting gears and braking?

If you're just looking to get started and not sure what to expect, maybe the Sportster might be a good starting point or even a good used metric?

Make sure you take a course and check with your insurance company about rates. First time rider with well over 1000 cc's could be expensive. Depending on where you live.

Sometimes you can find somone selling that is looking to get rid of their bike and gear. Helmets and jacket are additional expenses to consider as well so, look around for deals that have some extras thrown in.

The great thing about a motocycle is......there are a lot of them!!!! You can always sell and purchase something else when the time comes. You don't have to satisfy every need in one machine. Get started first and let things evolve from there.

Remember, if wife ain't happy,,, nobodys happy. If she doesn't love the ride, she will be less inclined to go (sometimes that's nice). Before long the bike trips, may become car trips. Err on the side of making your passenger COMFY!

My wife and I ride 2 up on my sporty - she had never ridden before and she just loves it.

One day we stopped by an HD ride event and test rode a Heritage Softtail Classic. She loved it so much that she said in front of the sales guy that we could buy that bike if I wanted to ..... in front of the sales guy even, in her outside voice ... I found myself telling her that wasn't a decision for that day - I couldn't believe it, but I was saying it ....

anyways - the sporty will do it but you two will be much more comfortable on a dyna (or a heritage)

Steve

PS - I still have my sporty - why ? looking to get my wife out on a roadking and a streetglide before purchasing second bike - plan on keeping the sporty and doing the stage 1 upgrades to it

I love my 883, but I don't think I would want to do more than an hour or so two up. The only passenger I've had so far is my 10 year old daughter, and she loves it, but she is 4'8" and about 85 lbs. :p

Back