free website stats program SPORTSTER 1987 problem | Harley Davidson Forums

SPORTSTER 1987 problem

dawroz

Hallo again
I’ve repaired my charging system on my 1987 sporty. Thanks for help.

Now I have another problem. I hear a noise coming from primary case.
Some irregural tapping, sounds like chain hiting the cover.
But the adjuster is ok, and when I watched the clutch working, the tensiones seemed to work well but the top part of the chain was tapping.
Can anybody tell me - what is the problem?

Did you rotate the chain to adjust it on the loosest area of the chain. Sometimes it will make a difference. I would also recheck the inside of the cover to see where it is rubbing. Something may not be done right on the installation you did.

The primary chain tensioner on your bike if the original as supplied with the bike is manually adjusted the adjuster mechanism is under the primary about level with the inspection cover that is mid way on the primary open the inspection cover to measure the tension unlock the large outer nut on the adjuster and tighten or loosen as required using an allen key in the middle of the adjuster

Brian

Hallo.
This is not this model of sportster you're writing about.
I have a 1987 model, and you wrote about 1991 and over.

Sorry if i got the wrong model but it has been a wee while since i worked on an 87 sportster and i only have books back as far as 91
what does your service manual say about correct adjustment or loose primary chain

Brian

Why not get the factory manual for your bike and you'll have all the info you need to do this ? They are available even yet and would be a great investment for you.

But I have manual for this model but nothing is there about it.

Please explain this statement in more detail. If you have a manual, it should cover the primary. It may not talk about the noise you have, but it explains what you can check (chain, tensioner, so on). Go thru the primary and check everything.

I have noticed that the upper side of the primary chain (not on the side of the tensioner) seems to tap or hit the primary cover. It's quite weird because the tensioner work well and the chain -when the engine is off- is strained good.

Back