free website stats program Spoked wheels | Harley Davidson Forums

Spoked wheels

Fourdogs

Ok guys here my question...I have a stock wheel with what I think they call anodized spokes. I want to replace them with chrome spokes ( Hope I am explaining this correctly)...Is it possible to replace them myself??? What would I need..I would love to replace the wheel but I've spent so freakin much money on this girl I think am gonna finally start watching my dollars...lol I honestly believe I got 40,000 dollars in this Road King..plus it will give me something to do....lol

is it possible? yes. but if you have never spoked and trued a wheel before you might want to leave it to someone who has. This is in no way the MAnual to do this only a brief synopsis of the process with things left out.You cut the spokes between the nipple and the hub and remove the old spokes. Then thread the new spoke through the hole in the hub and loosely attach it to the nipple in the rim you will begin to tighten them more once you have them all laced and in place then you begin the process of "truing" the wheel which involes tightening the spokes and spinning the wheel while watching the rim to see if it woobles from side to side tightening a little more on the opposite lace of the wobble.

lol nm. I write slow when I started no-one had responded by the time I finished Glider had a link already :D ...

I’ve laced 100 spoke wheels before, if I can do it you can. Your wheel will be not big problem since you already have a laced wheel to begin with. You can cut one spoke, remove it, and slip in another, torque it just past “snug’ and move on to the next spoke four or five spokes from #1 until finished. From there you will need a wheel stand. I’ve made my own primitive ones but there are probably an old bike shop somewhere in your area with one laying about. Once you get the stand you being the tightening/truing process. Obviously you have the internet, and there are lots of information available on the sequencing. You can do it.

Gentleman....Thanks to you all...I am convinced I'm gonna give it a try...Hey if nothing else I got a big basket..that I can throw it in and take it to the shop...again thanks to you all....:60:

Back